Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Paint Issue from Stick on Bug Deflector

Old 02-07-2019, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Paint Issue from Stick on Bug Deflector

I recently bought a lightly used 2017 F150. The old owner had a Ford branded stick on bug deflector. I wasn't a fan of how it looked so I removed it buy heating up the adhesive tape and pulling it off. After taking it off, I cleaned it up and for the most part everything looks fine. However, there are three marks in the paint that look to be from the plastic bug deflector rubbing on it (see attached photo). Is there anyway to get these marks to go away or at least be less noticeable? I tried lightly scrubbing it with some turtlewax polishing compound but it didnt seem to do anything. I was afraid to scrub to hard with it because I was nervous about doing more damage. The spots are a little rough to the touch when I rub my finger over it.

Old 02-07-2019, 03:23 PM
ford dealer parts guy

Liked 955 Times in 788 Posts

repaint, if it was on a flat edge you could try to wetsand BUT with it being on an edge like that, you will go through the paint in no time
Old 02-07-2019, 03:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn View Post
repaint, if it was on a flat edge you could try to wetsand BUT with it being on an edge like that, you will go through the paint in no time
When you say repaint what do you mean? Just get a touch up paint pen and put it on the spots? Or are you suggesting repainting the entire hood?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 PM
ford dealer parts guy

Originally Posted by ThunderGun View Post
When you say repaint what do you mean? Just get a touch up paint pen and put it on the spots? Or are you suggesting repainting the entire hood?
re doing the whole hood
Old 02-07-2019, 03:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

re doing the whole hood
Well that's not what I wanted to hear...haha. The spots are relatively small so that seems a bit extreme. Also, my primary concern is preventing further issues with them down the road. My secondary concern is appearance as they arent all that noticeable unless your really looking at. Is there any harm in just leaving it?
Old 02-07-2019, 03:36 PM
ford dealer parts guy

Originally Posted by ThunderGun View Post
Well that's not what I wanted to hear...haha. The spots are relatively small so that seems a bit extreme. Also, my primary concern is preventing further issues with them down the road. My secondary concern is appearance as they arent all that noticeable unless your really looking at. Is there any harm in just leaving it?
as long as there is no bare metal showing, you will be fine
Old 02-07-2019, 03:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

as long as there is no bare metal showing, you will be fine
I didn't originally think there is metal showing but I just looked at it again and it is hard to tell.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone else have ideas? This continues to bother me and im not sure what to do. I think it might just be rubbing damage to the clearcoat. If that is the case, will it spread? What is the best option to prevent further damage?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:30 PM

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Id hit it with some light cut polish and a DA polisher...bet it will minimize some. Doubt it all will go away. Polishing by hand won't do anything.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BadaBing1 View Post
Id hit it with some light cut polish and a DA polisher...bet it will minimize some. Doubt it all will go away. Polishing by hand won't do anything.
I appreciate the response. I think I will try this if I can get my hands on a DA polisher. Do you think this is going to spread like other clear coat damage does on cars if I do nothing? My biggeat concern is preventing any further issues to the surrounding paint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint Issue from Stick on Bug Deflector

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: