Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

HELP!! rusting rockers an cab corners

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! rusting rockers an cab corners

Im totally a newb but I bought a 04 SC4x4 an the truck is really clean an runs great but theres about a 1.5 inch hole under the cab corners on both sides in basically the same spot. I would like to get it fixed but I don't want to shell out the money for new metal an I don't want to attempt this by myself so I was thinking of going the fiber route. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to do or not do so the patch will look good for a couple years. Also after I fix it I was thinking about undercoating and/or rustproofing the truck as alittle surface rust is showing up on the frame an I would like to also slow that down , any information on jproducts , technique an application would be appreciated ....thanks
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

if you want it to look good and last you need to cut the rust out and weld in new
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Also be aware, there are drain holes at these locations for the water that comes off the grill on the hood by the windshield. Before you plug them up I would run some water on the windshield and watch to see if any comes out at the rust points. The reason they are rusty is because the holes plugged with dirt and leaves keeping it wet for long periods of time. Make sure they're clean before you fix anything or the rust will return. Small amounts of Bondo is OK for a little patch in my opinion.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Marc can you show a picture?

Originally Posted by Marc D
Also be aware, there are drain holes at these locations for the water that comes off the grill on the hood by the windshield. Before you plug them up I would run some water on the windshield and watch to see if any comes out at the rust points. The reason they are rusty is because the holes plugged with dirt and leaves keeping it wet for long periods of time. Make sure they're clean before you fix anything or the rust will return. Small amounts of Bondo is OK for a little patch in my opinion.
Marc, can you show a picture of the windshield area in question and these drain holes?
Thanks
CC
Old 07-18-2013, 01:50 PM

I'm sorry but I'm at our summer home in Idaho and I don't have a cell phone or camera to shoot the location I'm referring to. The newer trucks don't have a grill at the windshield but there's a tray just under the hood near the glass that drains left and right and down to the insides of the fenders. The hole in questions will be at the back of the fender next to the door and just under the roll of the fender. The hole should be a 1/2' oval in size. Again put a hose on the middle of the windshield (just a trickle) and watch at the fender bottom for drainage. I won't be back on SoCal for another moth before I can send pics. Sorry
Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Marc D
I'm sorry but I'm at our summer home in Idaho and I don't have a cell phone or camera to shoot the location I'm referring to. The newer trucks don't have a grill at the windshield but there's a tray just under the hood near the glass that drains left and right and down to the insides of the fenders. The hole in questions will be at the back of the fender next to the door and just under the roll of the fender. The hole should be a 1/2' oval in size. Again put a hose on the middle of the windshield (just a trickle) and watch at the fender bottom for drainage. I won't be back on SoCal for another moth before I can send pics. Sorry
I have a 2001 F150. Do they have that drain on the earlier models?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:42 AM

There are drain holes on all front fenders, it's just the location that varies. My 70 F-250 has them on the bottom of the fender. I won't be able to confirm the exact location on your 2001 until I get back to SoCal in a few weeks. My 2000 will the same as yours. (98 to 2004)

Quick Reply: HELP!! rusting rockers an cab corners