Topic Sponsor
Painting and Body Work Discuss any body work or painting issues here.

Have body shop costs gone up THAT much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Have body shop costs gone up THAT much?

Just bought another F-150 with a nasty surface scratch along the right front fender and most of the passenger door. Also showed the estimator a ding in the tailgate I wanted quoted in the price. He took his time, and quoted me over $2000 for both spots. I couldn't believe it. I just walked away. Have body shop costs gone up that much, or did I just ask the wrong guy?
Old 06-15-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Get a second opinion and a 3rd if needed. That may or may not be on par for the repairs. Everything else goes up in price as time goes by so it's very possible.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:30 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Vigilant
Just bought another F-150 with a nasty surface scratch along the right front fender and most of the passenger door. Also showed the estimator a ding in the tailgate I wanted quoted in the price. He took his time, and quoted me over $2000 for both spots. I couldn't believe it. I just walked away. Have body shop costs gone up that much, or did I just ask the wrong guy?
You asked the wrong guy. Or they didn't want to do it so they over quoted you. Happens in lots of industries. Post a pic of what you had estimated.

Last edited by 21RRF150; 06-16-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless its insurance work most DRP shops wont touch customer pay work unless its slow. The shop I work for takes on customer pay stuff all the time and lets them know that it will get done as soon as we can get to it with all the other insurance work. We had a price increase of about 30-40% on materials this year.
The following users liked this post:
Nooneridesfree (04-07-2023)
Old 08-11-2020, 01:30 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

I know this is kind of old but, YEAH! I am looking to do a color change on a truck for my daughter and with no body work the paint is going to start at $3,000.

But $2,000 for a few spots seems to be a lot.
Old 01-15-2022, 06:18 PM
Army Vet

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whether you use Glue,Tape or putty, they still going to SCREW YA!
Old 04-26-2023, 11:42 AM
D-H

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Can confirm that body shops are now committing flagrant highway robbery, whether through insurance or customer paying out of pocket. Earlier this year I brought my truck to a shop for an estimate on having my roof re-painted (rust on both sides of roof); at the time of receiving the estimate the shop said they could start the following week and be done in a few days, the cost still would have been $3,200.

Also brought another car to a body shop for an insurance claim. A driver in an SUV backed into the car, bending the hood, front bumper, cracking both headlights, and damaging the radiator. Just over $6,000 to repair and insurance deemed the car a total loss. I was pissed off about that one because the car was still extremely driveable, but because the body work was so expensive insurance deemed it more viable to total the vehicle and send it to salvage.

I can only speculate what has happened in recent years to drive up prices....because back in 2016 I bought a fiberglass hood for my F150 and brought it to a body shop for fitting, priming, painting and mounting, IIRC the bill from the body shop was between $400 and $500.

And in 2019, a tree limb fell on my front driver side fender so I finally pulled the trigger on a set of fiberglass fenders. Same story for painting and install--no more than a couple hundred bucks.

Quick Reply: Have body shop costs gone up THAT much?