Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Truck in the shop and blowing white smoke! Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck in the shop and blowing white smoke! Need Help!

Here’s the story:

I have a 2017 Shelby F150 (Lariat with a supercharger essentially)

My truck had recently been in service due to a metal clattering sound while towing a trailer. It would start when pulling the trailer up a climb and would stop when I let go of the gas. There would be no clattering if I was towing on a leveled road. I had Ford look at it a couple of weeks ago and they told me some vacuum module was faulty (something to do with switching to 4wd) and they changed it including an oil change. In addition, earlier this week, they had replaced the supercharger belt.

Today, I needed to tow my trailer to Seattle. It would be the first time towing after they did their service. Climbing up hill after crossing the river towards Ellensburg, I noticed the metal clattering louder then before I had service the truck. At the same time I felt like I didn’t have much power and the car felt like it was shaking quite a bit. Then I smelled something burnt. This has never happens before. I pulled into a rest stop, unhitched the trailer to see if it did anything, and when I restarted the truck, the idling was rough and when pressing the throttle, white thick smoke was coming out the exhaust. I turned off the car and called a tow truck. Currently now at a Ford Dealership.

I’ve uploaded the metal clattering sound when it was happening.

Please let me know your thoughts!

EDIT: can’t upload video.

heres a link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fNf9pnDiFwVvXLJ68
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2Q1qBRNscDKaGSUDA

Last edited by Sam Hsieh; 06-22-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:42 PM

Received 277 Likes on 245 Posts

Most likely blown head gasket, or cracked head. The metal clattering sound is obviously something letting go in the engine. The first video where you are stopping, I'm pretty sure that's the characteristic sound of piston slap/dead cylinder. (Not sure what that weird humming sound was)
The following users liked this post:
River1 (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

My first thoughts were as ShirBlackspots suggested or severe overheating somewhere that isn't getting enough coolant or possibly none. Possibly a blockage somewhere that is preventing flow. Look at this for your 5.0.

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing....roducts_id=555
Old 06-28-2019, 04:21 PM

Default 2017 Ford F-150 white smoke

I have a 17 f150 an I took it to the dealership to get it looked at an they told me that the turbos was bad and a few other things but they told me that ford denied to fix my truck until something major happens to it ... so pretty much they r wanting my truck to blow the engine before they do anything about it and I’ve talked to ford and they keep blowing me off and my truck only has 24,000 miles on it
Old 06-28-2019, 04:37 PM

Quick update:

they said its a bent valve. Currently waiting for ford to authorize the dealership to tear open the engine..
Old 06-28-2019, 09:29 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh28!
I have a 17 f150 an I took it to the dealership to get it looked at an they told me that the turbos was bad and a few other things but they told me that ford denied to fix my truck until something major happens to it ... so pretty much they r wanting my truck to blow the engine before they do anything about it and I’ve talked to ford and they keep blowing me off and my truck only has 24,000 miles on it
Unless you modified the truck, they should honor the warranty, and you shouldn't have to beg either.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:24 AM

I haven’t done anything to the truck it’s bone stock ... they just don’t wanna fix it ... I’ve been on the phone with Ford and they keep giving me the run around
Old 06-29-2019, 01:30 PM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

I would take it to another dealer.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:07 PM

I am still waiting to get it in the other dealership is booked up I got a case file going with Ford and they keep giving me the run around saying we will give you a call tomm an they have someone call and say that person is out of the office today they will call you tomm
Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh28!
I haven’t done anything to the truck it’s bone stock ... they just don’t wanna fix it ... I’ve been on the phone with Ford and they keep giving me the run around

I'd suggest doing a burnout in front of the dealership until something brakes.

Quick Reply: Truck in the shop and blowing white smoke! Need Help!