Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Transmission Whine after Fluid Flush

Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Transmission Whine after Fluid Flush

I just had my transmission fluid flushed and filter replaced on my 08 F-150 4.6L 2WD with 66k miles on Tuesday. (Figures just out of warranty...)

On Thursday, while I was driving down the highway, doing about 65mph my truck wouldn't shift up into final drive and the RPM's were just increasing to around 3000 RPM's+ (almost as if I had O/D off). I also noticed the transmission temp going up from 220F - 230F -240F - then to 250F (I have a Gryphon and TFT is one of the parameters I monitor). As soon as it got to 250F I pulled over to the side of the highway and temps went down. I waited a minute and started driving again. Back on the road, nothing seemed out of the norm. Truck shifted fine in highway and regular driving.

Later that day, I go to start it up and now there is a whining coming from the transmission in park and neutral.

- The whining is RPM related. If revved, the whine increases.
- The whine is also temperature related. When cold the noise is minimal, when warm, noise is very noticeable.
- Also, it seems to clunk more than usual putting it into gear from park. (may just be in my head)
- However, once in gear, the noise goes away and the truck drives normal.

I took it back to the shop that did the transmission flush and they checked the levels and said they are correct and they used the correct weight fluid. They told me to take it back on Monday so they can look further into it. I just have the feeling they don't know what they are looking for.

Is there anything I should have them look for specifically? By this description, does anyone know what it could be? Are there items that I can rule out?

Thanks in advance!

-Kyle
Old 10-15-2012, 03:34 PM

Seems as though the shop added too much transmission fluid. I checked the levels today and they were above recommended level. I showed this to the shop and they vacuum pumped some out (around 1 QT!!). It is now at the proper level but the noise persists.

I'm going back to the shop tomorrow to speak with the owner about how to go about fixing this problem. I will not be having the shop who performed the tranny flush do the service. I will be taking the truck to Ford. I figure, if they can't get a tranny flush correct, why would I let them dive into it.

Luckily, I've documented the entire ordeal. I have pictures showing the dipstick overfilled and pictures of them vacuuming out the excess tranny fluid. The shop is AAA rated by the Better Business Bureau so I sure hope they would do right by fixing this.

My guess is that since it was overfilled, it caused excessive pressure in the transmission, blowing a seal or ruining a part. This most likely took place when I was on the highway and the truck wouldn't upshift (like I described above).

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM

Quick Update: I decided to take it back to the shop that performed the trans flush. I spoke with the owner and got a better feeling about how this would play out. Last Thursday they decided to replace the transmission filter as that is not something that is done on their standard transmission flush. During this they also flushed the fluid that was just replaced during the original flush. This fluid was very dark already, just after 200 miles of driving. It looked like 30,000 mile fluid. It's very possible that this was due to the highway incident where the truck wouldn't shift and caused the transmission to heat up pretty good.

After the owner spoke with a local Ford dealership, he has decided to pull the transmission and take it to a transmission shop here in town. They are going to diagnose the problem and decide whether a new transmission is needed or a fix can be done.

This should all start to take place today. I'll update as I hear more.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Dang that sucks man
Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Horrors.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Any update????
Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 AM

Hey guys. The car shop decided to replace the transmission with a ford rebuilt transmission. They performed the work and got the truck back to me last Wednesday. Everything is now working great. The noise is gone. I assume, as well as the shop, that the tranmission pump was likely to blame. The new transmission comes with a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty. The shop paid for all of this. I have to say, I couldn't be more happy with the way this all turned out and that the shop stood by their work.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
Hey guys. The car shop decided to replace the transmission with a ford rebuilt transmission. They performed the work and got the truck back to me last Wednesday. Everything is now working great. The noise is gone. I assume, as well as the shop, that the tranmission pump was likely to blame. The new transmission comes with a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty. The shop paid for all of this. I have to say, I couldn't be more happy with the way this all turned out and that the shop stood by their work.
Wow. You lucked out. Most shops would fight tooth and nail to get out of paying for that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Whine after Fluid Flush