Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Transmission upgrade options

Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission upgrade options

I have a 2005 lariat supercrew with a 5.4 and I need a transmission that can live with 600+ rwhp. Any suggestions?

For reference, the engine I'm swapping in is a built 2v 4.6 with an intercooled vortech. I don't know for sure, but I think the trans should bolt up. Are there any options for strengthening the 4r70? If I have to go the replacement route, what is a good transmission for these trucks? Mine is a 4x4, so it might be prudent to upgrade my transfer case. Any suggestions y'all might have for that would be helpful too.

I'm just starting to research upgrades for this truck, so please excuse my ignorance as to what is out there. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Edit: just wanted to add, I can't decide if I want to slam it or lift it. I would love to hear what you guys think. I've got to decide before I buy any trans/transfer case parts. Part of me thinks I should go with an AWD transfer case and put it on airbags. Most of me wants to build my poor man's raptor.

Last edited by L00senut; 03-21-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it may be hard to reach 600hp from that motor and make it last any length of time,good luck
Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was sitting on 578rwhp, before I upgraded to dual pumps. I'm pretty sure 600 will come when it gets tuned. I'm asking about transmissions, but thanks.

Search this Thread