Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Train wreck 05 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Train wreck 05 4.2

So last weekend I went on a trip about 4 hours from home, towed a trailer the whole way without any issues. Dropped off the toy trailer and headed towards the hotel when the engine suddenly and totally died. It made no noises and there was no indication of the cause. Attempts to restart did not work. While waiting for the tow truck I researched the problems on various forums. This pointed me towards the fuel pump regulator, replaced this in a field at 10pm in the dark by cell phone light after getting a ride to the parts store. Didn't work. When there was light again I reset the computer for a third time and got the engine to run. Poorly. Shook badly in gear and had nearly no power, but it moved enough to get me the mile to the car parts store. Suspecting poor ignition, I replaced the coil pack, plugs, plug wires, crankshaft position sensor and replaced the coil pack a second time to make sure it was not a dud when there was no change. I did change from Bosch plugs to Autolite as I have heard the 4.2 is odd with Bosch plugs. Borrowed another truck and flatbed and got the truck home. Barely made enough power to back it off the trailer. This morning I disconnected the cam position sensor and found that while it still did not seem perfect, I was able to drive the truck mostly normally again. That said the two front plugs on the coil pack don't seem to be firing. Cylinder 1 and 5. Plan currently is to replace the cam position sensor, hopefully the synchronizer is fine. Any bets on other issues I may have?
Old 09-03-2017, 04:40 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

I see 2 options.
1 stand back and throw parts at it.
2 connect scan tool and isolate problem