Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Swapping an HO 3.5L EB in a new Platinum

Old 05-11-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping an HO 3.5L EB in a new Platinum

What do you guys think of trying to get a dealer to put an HO 3.5L EB in a brand new Platinum Screw?

I have to have the 6.5' bed for my handicapped scooter but can't that in the Limited for some short-sighted reason on Ford's part. They won't even consider offering it as an option.

I know a tune will get me more power but I don't want to void my warranty right out of the gate.

I've got an Edge Insight on my truck now and had a BullyDog something. Both just gauge packages, no programming, but my dealer insists I had my truck programmed at some point. No deal now as I'm way out of time on my warrant but at the time they said it I was still in the factory time. So I know they are particular about that. Outside of warranty work, only one place works on my truck and the owner said if needed he would go to court for me to testify that there had never been a programmer on there. But I'm getting too far off topic.

I know if I have the engine swapped, the numbers won't match but as long as that's noted on the paperwork at sales time and the dealer does it, should/would there be any problems with warranty or insurance? As of now, there are no inspections or emissions checks for half-tons where I live. And do the number matching really mean that much on a new vehicle? I know it's very desirable on a classic auto.

I don't even know if I could find a dealer to do it or not. For some reason, I just want the HO (even tho it'll probably get me in trouble) and as I said, I need the 6.5' bed.

Thanks for any replies.

John T
Old 06-27-2019, 09:31 PM

Received 295 Likes on 207 Posts

I think you’d lose your powertrain warranty from ford on the truck if you had an HO put in for various reasons
Old 06-30-2019, 10:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best option is to drive the truck as is and enjoy a beautiful Platinum

the cheapest option if you must do something and are dead set on retaining 100% of your warranty is to sell the Platinum and buy a limited. Cheapest option is to tune the platinum. Motor swap really doesn’t sound viable. With the tune the warranty loss issue isn’t So black and white. Be smart with it, no silly tuner window decals, REMOVE tune before taking truck to dealer for ANY reason at all, and you will be ok 95%+ of the time for warranty work. The other 5% is when there are huge engine issues where Ford requests the PCM be sent in for engineering diagnosis. That is when you can get a voided warranty. Most dealers can’t see indications of a removed tuner by themselves. Be smart with your tuner choice because they are changing engine parameters that can have huge impact on engine durability and reliability. Max HP doesn’t mean BEST.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:39 PM

Received 701 Likes on 504 Posts

Why? The only difference between the HO is the exhaust manifolds (maybe), pistons, rings and oil squirters.

The HO has lower compression pistons with no drains in the oil rail, larger oil reservoir on the bottom and more squirters, different ring pack, and slightly better manifolds (,if they didn't change them when they changed the turbos).

Since 2018 the 3.5EB and HO have used the same turbos.

5-Star tuned a 2018 3.5 EB.

Stock 3.5EB
Stock Tune
87 Octane E10 (R+M/2)
331 rwhp at 5000 rpm
415 rwt at 3550 rpm.

Stock 3.5EB
5-Star Tune
VP - MS109 Unleaded E10 - 105 Octane (R+M/2)
550 rwhp at 5750 rpm
630 rwt at 3400 rpm

While I don't expect you to run Unleaded Race Fuel it gives you some idea of what's possible. I suspect that is set on kill but with 93 Octane and a conservative tune you still should be able to make 10% more power than a stock GO without even trying.

Last edited by Gene K; 08-17-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping an HO 3.5L EB in a new Platinum