Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Possibly torque converter, or electronic 4r70w

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Possibly torque converter, or electronic 4r70w

So, I just rebuilt my 4r70w in my 2003 f150 screw...5.4.
I rebuilt it myself, but am pretty sure I did it right...had a ton of resources and even step by step guides for every single component.

Problem I have is sort of two parts.. that are probably related.

The first, and obvious is: Sometimes when I come to a stop and then try to take off again...the truck hesitates to engage. It doesn't really rev up, it barely rolls forward (as if you take your foot off), and then engages and goes as should. It doesn't BANG, or Clunk into gear....simply, smoothly clicks into gear. It makes no difference if I rev it high or not. When the truck is colder, it will sometimes click into gear at a light. Also, I can manually put the truck in low (1) and it will run out as it should...no hesitation. It's only in (D) drive that I have this problem.

The second issue is: often times when I stomp on the gas, it will rev to about 2,000 rpm and then stay there. The truck will still accelerate...I've had it go from 40-70mph while staying at a constant 2,000 rpm (sometimes it will slowly get to to 2,500 rpms). It doesn't always do this; sometimes it will down shift, kick up the revs and proceed as it should.

I'm thinking either I have a bad solenoid, or the torque converter is bad. I didn't replace either when I rebuilt it. Do you guys have any ideas?

Also, I heard people say when I install the torque converter to fill it first with ATF, and others said there's no need...it will fill up on its own. I didn't fill it (I did drain it).
..could this be my problem?

Last edited by Holicori; 08-17-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

is the fluid full on the dipstick? check the fluid with the engine running, in park and at normal engine operating temp.

I would suspect a valve body issue before I suspect the converter or solenoid fault. its common for the pressure regulator valve to wear and bind. Also make sure you used the correct valve body gasket. Ford changed the valve body in 2001 so the correct gasket should have a blue stripe.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:30 PM

Yes, its definitely full. It's actually a little over filled. I am confused though, because the Autozone guys...and even book specs say a complete refill is about 14quarts. I only used about 10 and its slightly overfilled. Which is why I thought maybe the torque converter was low. And yes, I ran it through all the gears as well.

When rebuilding I kept all the old gaskets and matched them up with the new ones. My kit came with a few different ones like you mentioned, so I made sure to match them up.

I think the torque converter is at fault...I think it's locking up prematurely. My mpg is horrible...about 10 right now and I keep it below 2k rpms. I have bigger tires, but not huge...285.

I plan on pulling the transmission this weekend. I have new solenoids already, and possibly replace torque converter too. Is there anyway to test the torque converter while its out? I guess not since its welded shut.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

The transmission has to be hot, not just the engine
Old 08-18-2015, 01:10 PM

I've checked it at least 20 times. It's more than filled. I've checked it after driving for 40min. I've checked it cold, hot, lukewarm. I've checked it while eating a burrito. I've checked it at night, I've checked it in the morning. I've checked it while reading Dr Seuss.

I have checked the fluid lol....trust me, its filled.

I just don't think the converter is getting filled(oritsjust bad)
Old 08-19-2015, 03:35 PM

Anything? Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2015, 10:11 PM

I would suspect a stuck or worn valve(s) in the valve body before I suspected the torque converter or solenoids.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 PM

That would cause a major misfire and a tick...would it not?

Either way, can pretty much rule that out because its been completely remachined and rebuilt with all new parts.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:00 PM

seems like you have all the answers, what do you need us for?
Old 08-19-2015, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by mitymerc
seems like you have all the answers, what do you need us for?

This made me chuckle. I wasn't sure if you were a troll or not...but seeing you only have 20 post...and are new like me, I'm going to assume you are.

I laugh again reading your ignorant post. Brainstorming ideas with other individuals who are knowledgeable about this, taking very good suggestions into consideration, and narrowing them down by ruling out which ones are highly unlikely...makes me wise, but not an infinite portal of answers ha.

Now, getting all butthurt because somebody had an extremely good reason to 99% rule out your pretty decent suggestion...only makes you a child. And makes for a good laugh.

Grow the **** up. Ha

Last edited by Holicori; 08-19-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Possibly torque converter, or electronic 4r70w