Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Oil Filter Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Oil Filter Magnet

Does anyone have any experience with these? I just picked one up and figured why not.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:09 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have not used them. Sounds like a good idea to me, though the filter should catch particles down to what 5 microns.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:18 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes they work very well I plan on adding on one myself, also get yourself a magnetic oil sump drain plug they really help out, and if you happen to have a drain plug on your transmission sump add one there as well.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 211 Likes on 191 Posts

No experience with motor oil magnets.

I realize there's a difference between motor oil filters and auto tranny filters - but I was impressed with the performance of the magnets present in the trannies of the '88 Grand Prix and '95 Honda - they both had a significant quantity of gritty fuzz on them at the fluid & filter change.

So, if you've already got it - give it a whirl and be sure to let us know how it works out.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:44 AM

that was one good thing saturn did was to put an external filter on there trannys... not sure how good the trannys are but still a good ideal.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

if you wire it to a positive wire and a led you have a chip detector....pretty much showing you you have some chipping or fragment issues...when the metal on it grounds to the pan it grounds out the light
Old 03-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

On of the things you can do to add a magnet to your oil filter is the get the magnets out of old computer Hard Drives. These magnets are made of niobium and pound for pound they are the most powerful such magnets you can get. They are so powerful if you place a pair of these magnets on either side of one of your hands they will stick to each other through your skin and bones. Use a hose clamp, or two and mount a couple of them on your oil filter. They do an excellent job.

To give you an idea of just how powerful a niobium, also called a rare earth magnet is, go to this link.
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_i...roducts_id=321
while this magnet only has an outside diameter of 3 inches it will pick up 115 pounds. As you can see they are also cheap.

They have the perfect shape for clamping them on the out side of oil and gas filter.
http://www.magnet4less.com/index.php?cPath=1_15

Last edited by transmaster; 03-30-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by HarmsWay
Does anyone have any experience with these? I just picked one up and figured why not.
I won't try such unknown stuffs. Hazards ________________________________________ _____
Latest bmw 540i radiator | Latest bmw 530i tail light
Old 04-09-2008, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by wde3477
No experience with motor oil magnets.

I realize there's a difference between motor oil filters and auto tranny filters - but I was impressed with the performance of the magnets present in the trannies auto body part of the '88 Grand Prix and '95 Honda - they both had a significant quantity of gritty fuzz on them at the fluid & filter change.

So, if you've already got it - give it a whirl and be sure to let us know how it works out.
Motor Oil Magnets??? I haven't tried it yet, nor used it..
Old 10-07-2014, 04:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For those interested in a good DIY oil filter magnet, these work well:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddeta...Y042SH&cat=167

N42SH oil filter magnets

They used to be cheaper, but rare earths jumped in price a couple years back.

Depending on the size of the oil filter, I use anywhere from 8 to a dozen. Space them evenly around the sides. When you do the next oil change, move the magnets to the new filter. Cutting the old filter open reveals rings of metallic residue in the shape of the magnet outline.

This is generally the same as the commercial FilterMag, although potentially better due to using high temperature magnets. Exceeding the operating temperature of magnets causes irreversible loss of magnetic force varying from a little up to complete loss at the higher Curie temperature.

Filtermag: http://www.expeditionexchange.com/filtermag/

With individual magnets, you can get a good fit all the way round the filter. Use as many as your wallet or wife will permit.

Cheaper.

Filtermag is $60 for 12 magnets, $5 per. The KJ ones are less, an extras can easily be used on the oil pan, tranny, differential - anything with a steel surface. Magnetic force drops off quickly with distance, so best results are with magnets that fit tightly to the surface.

They don't do any magic nonsense like "stablize molecules" or improve mpg, but they are yet another quick and easy extra for the truck.

Sign up for KJ's newsletter, and get a discount code. This months is NDFEB for 8% off $80 or NEODYMIUM for $4 off $25

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with nor get any referral from K&J. Just a happy customer.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Magnet