Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Newbie to the forum.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie to the forum.....

Hey guys,

First time here, just got a 1995 F150 with the straight 6 because i heard they are a tough engine to break. Have had it for over a month now and last week lent it to my mom to get some shingles and she switched gas tanks (this model came with 2) and sucked water from the tank with a hole in it. I have changed the fuel filter and plugs, and now when i hook the new battery i bought for it up the engine wont turn over?! i turn the key and just hear a click then nothing? does any one know what this might be?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Recheck your battery connections, make sure the inside of the terminals are sanded clean. Typically the click means enough power was available to engage the solenoid but not enough to crank the starter
Old 11-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks
i will try that after work. But i had done that with the old battery. Could it be that one of the connections are bad??? the old battery had a lot of green over top of the terminal and on the wire as well. The screw that was holding it on is almost corroded away.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah bud that green stuff is not good, make sure where the terminal contacts the battery post is good and clean. If the bolt is no good they can be replaced seperately.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah check the battery terminals again, its funny but I had the same problems with my inline 6, till I went out and spent some cash and bought gold plated connectors and really sanded the crap out of the battery terminal, and then cranked the S*** out of them.

And you are right those engines are nearly bullet proof, I had over 130K on mine when I went to rebuild it and the machinist I had bore mine out thought that the engine block was almost brand new, the cylinder walls were still nearly perfect, and they were perfectly round.

Quick Reply: Newbie to the forum.....