Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

A New Crate Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A New Crate Motor?

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 with the Offroad Package. It has about 282K miles on it currently. As I was driving home the other night it started to make a really bad grinding sound which I later found out to be the timing chain because one of the chain guides has broken. Upon further inspection (after taking the timing cover and valve covers off)I have also noticed a pretty good oil leak from the cylinder head. My first reaction is to put new heads on, but with this many miles (and many were hard miles moving hay, tractors, lumber, and a lot of cows) I am questioning whether or not to just bite the bullet and put a new crate motor in, or build a new motor. If I put in a new motor I would like to have one with a little more power because I do so much with the truck. I realize the rest of the drive train may need some attention, but I am not sure what anyone else has done with their trucks. I have spent many miles in this truck and would like to spend many more. If you have any ideas I appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was looking for a used engine for a 2000 F150 XLT, 5.4l 2V V8. I found 3 websites that were actually all the same, SW Engines, gotengines, and one more. I could buy a 5.4l triton for $1800 shipped to a commercial business, with a 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. I didn't think this was too bad of a deal. To install the engine would have been around $1000. So figure 3G's and you are on the road for another 3 years worry free. (engine anyhow). I could buy a used motor at a junkyard for $1100, with a 30 day warranty. Not so appealing going that route.

Good luck with your search for a new motor.

Quick Reply: A New Crate Motor?