Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Needing some transmission advice, or troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Needing some transmission advice, or troubleshooting

Hi there. I have an 07 f150 4.2L automatic. I am worried that my transmission is not shifting correctly. I have a body lift on the truck (they don't make a body lift for v6, so the transmission linkage adapter is rigged. That linkage is stable and I can shift into all gears however I have a terrible fear this may be causing my issue, maybe not though, just wanted to get that out there.

The issue I'm having is it seems most the time the truck acts like it's not in overdrive. Even though you can turn overdrive on and off it always feels like you're at high rpm's on the highway and doesn't feel like it ever shifts like you'd expect if you were in overdrive. It acts almost like it's in second gear, even though I can switch to second gear. Unfortunately I don't have a tach to be able to verify the high rpm's.

I'm not throwing any codes, so I don't know how the dealership can/will troubleshoot this to verify I don't have a transmission problem. Is there a way for them to test this or is it pointless without any codes? Any idea what could cause this?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:53 PM
ethan82000

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Throw an edge on it and you can see what gear your in, if the tc is locked, and your rpm.

Quick Reply: Needing some transmission advice, or troubleshooting