Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

need to get home on half fluids??

Old 01-27-2013, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to get home on half fluids??

i bypassed my transmission cooler and hooked the the hoses to one another. was wondering if i could get my truck home on half the transmission fluid needed in my truck. need to go about 2 to 3 miles.?? any feedback will really help
Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Most transmissions have over two to three gallons of total capacity. I don't think the transmission will engage with only half the fluid and if it does it might damage it.
In my experiance if a transmission is down 2 qts it can cause the pickup to draw air and the trans will start to slip. A low fluid level will also cause the transmission fluid to increase in temperature very quickly especially without a working cooler.
Regards
rikard
The following users liked this post:
jase24 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Where?

Originally Posted by jase24
i bypassed my transmission cooler and hooked the the hoses to one another. was wondering if i could get my truck home on half the transmission fluid needed in my truck. need to go about 2 to 3 miles.?? any feedback will really help
If the engine/tranny are cold, and if you're only 2-3 miles on open road, no stop/go driving, and cool weater, it should work but watch the Xmission temperature gauge. Why not put in some fluid?
The following users liked this post:
jase24 (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys for the feedback. I didnt wanna add anymore fluids because ill just have to dump the fluid when i put my transsmission cooler on. Do you guys have any tips or ideas on a universal transsmission cooler? i dont want spend the 160 bucks to get a regular ford one. Also do you think my truck will be alright with the transmission cooler off and the two lines that were connected to it are now connected.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Chrisj

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jase24
thanks guys for the feedback. I didnt wanna add anymore fluids because ill just have to dump the fluid when i put my transsmission cooler on. Do you guys have any tips or ideas on a universal transsmission cooler? i dont want spend the 160 bucks to get a regular ford one. Also do you think my truck will be alright with the transmission cooler off and the two lines that were connected to it are now connected.
Forgive my bluntness. Was that a typo? $160 for a cooler from Ford. You dont want to pay that? What do you think it should cost? Im hoping its a typo, because if its not you are foolish for looking elswhere

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need to get home on half fluids??