Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Had oil changed, now truck idles rough??

Old 12-15-2009, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had oil changed, now truck idles rough??

Have a 2004 F150 FX4 5.4L had the oil changed at the dealership, now every once and a while at low rpm the engine will hesitate and run really rough.. like the timing is way off. Truck ran fine before that. Took it back to the dealership and scanned the truck and got engine trouble code P0012. They said the Variable Cam Timing solenoid in bank #1 isn't working properly. Does this sound about right? The solenoid is close to $200 so I just wanted to make sure thats the problem before I bought one.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Lucky Number 7

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

That's odd... Surely they used the right weight of oil!! Not sure how hard that part is to change either, but surely it can be done for less!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil weight can effect the performance of the cam phasers. I'd double check the type of oil used. Have you always used 5w-20? Always serviced at the dealer or maybe previous service at a Jiffy-Lube-type-place?
Just my thoughts, maybe I'm way off. I'm a bit phaser-phobic right now. Just had phasers and rocker-arms replaced last month.
After an oil change the engine runs dry for a few seconds, this can also cause issues. It might have sent a bad sensor or other another part to go bad.
Good luck. Report back here when you get it solved.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 PM

Invoice says the used 5W20. Just recently got the truck so I took it to a Ford Dealer to make sure the right oil was used. Might go ahead and replace the VCT solenoid and see what happens. Let you know what I find out.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Truck seems to be running fine so I'm going to hold off on replacing the VCT solenoid for now. Not sure if it was an oil pressure issue or what??
Old 05-05-2010, 04:27 PM

I'm having the same problem. The dealer gave me the same thing when i had diagnostics ran on it today. He tried saying I may have put the wrong oil in but I proved him wrong with the oil. I don't know what I'm going to do with this because he says they could not get it to idle rough while they had it for 4 hours... I have a rough idle multiple times over the last month and the engine has even died about 6 times.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:29 PM

oh and he suggested that I try changing the oil again even though i did it about a month ago
Old 05-06-2010, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably not related to the oil grade oil unless it was several grades off. I ran 5-20 and 10-30 at different times with no problem, now just use 5-20.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fire74
I have a rough idle multiple times over the last month and the engine has even died about 6 times.
It could be totally coincidental that this happened right after you had your oil changed. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? I was recently having idle problems and my truck died at a stop light a couple of blocks after getting off the freeway. I was talking to a mechanic froend of mine and he asked me about my fuel filter. I changed the filter and poof, idle problem gone. Hopefully your fix is just as easy!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:11 PM

It did it again... only a couple times tho. And again it was right after I changed the oil. Runs fine now tho so who knows. Might change the fuel filter and see what happens.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Had oil changed, now truck idles rough??