Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Engine stumble after the engine warms up???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine stumble after the engine warms up???

I have a 97 with a 2003 5.4 engine. It ran great after the rebuild and install. I am at about 7k on the engine and recently ran into a wierd problem... When the engine is cold, it runs great and has no issues. However, it seems like as soon as it hits its normal operating temperature it starts to stumble. It is giving no codes, and will littlerally shake the entire truck. It is somewhat noticeable in park or neutral, in gear at idle it is pretty bad, and when under loaded acceleration it is really bad.

Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you had some response to this! I just had the same thing start this morning on my 04 FX4 5.4. I had to turn around this morning and take it back home. Gotta love driving the wife's minivan to work
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM

After weeks of this happening, I finally got a code for the number 4 cylinder misfire. I checked the spark plug wires and the coil pack and ohmed each one out. The thing I cant figure out, is that according to my book, my coild packs r both out of spec, but they are the exact same as a new one. as well, does anyone know how many ohms a spark plug wire should test at?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 12:42 AM

i had the same problem with my truck past two weeks, took it to the shop and they said fuel injector was clogged, and something about #5 ignition coil

they fixed it and it runs fine now
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

coils
Old 11-06-2016, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by tryan037
After weeks of this happening, I finally got a code for the number 4 cylinder misfire. I checked the spark plug wires and the coil pack and ohmed each one out. The thing I cant figure out, is that according to my book, my coild packs r both out of spec, but they are the exact same as a new one. as well, does anyone know how many ohms a spark plug wire should test at?

Thanks
I would take the measurements of all (most) of the coils to get the reading. That should reveal which one or two are out of Spec. The readings I was getting did not match any data I could find so that is how I did it.

Quick Reply: Engine stumble after the engine warms up???