Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Engine knock help 5.4L 2003

Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine knock help 5.4L 2003

I got a 2003 F150 with 133k miles on it and a 5.4L V8.

A couple of hours ago I was gonna go to my buddies ranch and the truck started fine but when I got out of my driveway the engine started making a loud knocking noise.

I quickly put it back to gear and pulled back in and turned the truck off and opened the hood to see if there were any obvious problems with it.

I'm not a grease monkey or anything but well the last time I changed my oil was at 132k miles, I used Penzoil 10W-40 and a quart of lucas stabilizer and changed my filter.

I did some research about the knocking and I got that it could be my oil. Well, my engine had a small noise before today which it went completely loud. I thought that it was the manifold though because a couple of months ago air escaped from the headers and I changed it myself (it was a pain) but I changed the tubulars of the exhaust manifold and it fixed the tic. I had thought that it was that again which was making the noise. But now I am kind of worried that my oil was low and thats why It was making the noise and now well the problem has gotten big.

I don't torture my truck or anything I started hauling a 20ft pintle trailer about a month ago but my truck has only hauled maybe 5-6 times and the heaviest load it had was a power buggy but it towed fine and it has been working perfectly until now. Also, the other day I had to go through a puddle at the job site and well since my truck is not 4x4 I did not want to risk getting stuck so I went through it pretty fast which made the engine super dirty. (I don't know if that could be a cause of the problem) Or that Monday (labor day) I stopped at a shell and they only had regular gas and I went ahead and filled it up with regular for the first time. (I usually use plus)

Any help would be much appreciated. If it was cause of my oil I added a quart and started it again but the loud knocking is still there.. So i don't want to mess with it until I find out what the heck it could be.

Thanks in advanced for any help
Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,116 Likes on 2,825 Posts

maybe a rod bearing
Old 09-10-2012, 11:07 PM

Default The knocking..

It was a spark plug

It's gonna need a new head and a whole lot of $$$ for labor to get that think out and put back in.

I hope I can find one at a junkyard.. the thread in mine is no longer able to make the spark plug go in tight it goes all the way down into it.

Oh well, **** happens then you die..T

Thanks though!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:14 PM
2003 FX4 Supercrew

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

You can have a Timesert threaded repair insert put in the head and be up and running within an hour.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002FX4
You can have a Timesert threaded repair insert put in the head and be up and running within an hour.
^^^No need for a whole new head!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Mathematics Rules!

I once stripped a plug on a VW. I think I used something called a "Heli-coil" to cut a new thread. Beat the heck out of paying to have the head replaced. They have them at most auto parts stores.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 AM

Seems a really big problem with your wheels and you might end up paying a hell lot, but i would still suggest you to have tech taking look at it and hope he comes out with a solution that is more easy and cheap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine knock help 5.4L 2003