Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Ecoboost exhaust change for a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecoboost exhaust change for a tune?

Do you have to change your stock exhaust in order to tune the truck? I've spent, I don't know how much time listening to exhaust for the eco, and I hate every single one of them. I'd much rather be quiet and hear the turbos than sound like a pissed off chain saw.

Was planning on getting one of the aFe cold air intakes and a SCT Livewire 5015 and running either 87 performance or 93 performance.

Would the stock exhaust system choke the mods I'm doing?

Do you really need an aftermarket exhaust to get the most out of these mods?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:55 PM
F150 Forum

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Totally fine to tune a stock truck. Some exhaust mods may benefit it further, especially a catless y-pipe, but definitely not required.

http://www.morepowertuning.com/MAK-11001
Old 06-06-2014, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I wouldn't mind running strait pipes just for the air flow, but I think that would make the truck loud. Guess I still need to do some research.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:26 PM
F150 Forum

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

You could run the catless Y-pipe with the stock catback and get most of the performance gain without making it too much louder.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:35 PM

Received 120 Likes on 98 Posts

KRoyal, Much the same as you the V6 is hard to make it sound good. Especially so when one has been around nice sounding V8's for decades.

Downpipes seem to make a considerable performance difference with no undesired noise side effects like some cat back exhaust make. You may want at using a downpipe with stock exhaust.

Thumbs up to Mike, Ken and crew at MPT. They do a great job with the tunes. I'm very satisfied with the transmission and MPG gains. The OEM ford transmission tuning is not very rewarding from a driveability perspective. Leaving the driver feeling very disconnected from the vehicle. MPT has been able to resolve 85% of the driveability issues conservatively.

Just got 18.5 MPG on a round trip from Dallas to Austin with some city driving. Good for my truck as in OEM form its of the lower 10 percentile for EB trucks MPG. This is a considerable improvement for my truck as it's hard to get over 17 on the highway.

Last edited by joedotmac; 06-11-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM
F150 Vendor

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

As has been said already a catless ypipe with stock catback will get you the performance, without the side effects(sound)

FACEBOOK YOUTUBE TWITTER
Ecoboost Performance Parts from the Pros!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed an MPT 93 Octane Street tune and couldn't be happier. THis is how the truck run from the factory. Makes a bonafide 6 sec. truck out of the rig. Just simply amazing. And since I still had an X3000 tunes the tune was just $100. BEtter than Livernois with all their problems lately and MPT has absolutely great customer service too. Today I dropped an AEM 28-20385 DryFlow Air Filter in $39 on amazon and much better than K&N. I am not messing with the exhaust or thermostat but eventually will do a wagner intercooler. We are in 95-97F heat here with 70% humidity and the truck still pulls hard under WOT with no problems. Excellent!

I wouldn't bother with the exhaust. I'd get the tune, a CAI or drop in AEM panel and a wagner intercooler and be done. The truck is an animal just with the 93 tune. Although even with most careful driving I lose 1-2 mpg with the tune but who cares. I am smiling all the way to the gas station.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost exhaust change for a tune?