Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Drivetrain rattle under load/towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Drivetrain rattle under load/towing

I have a 2010 f150 5.4 with 140,000kms on it. Lately I hear this awful rattling noise when towing, but only going uphill or small hills. On straight roads I hear nothing, but towing uphill it’s unbelievable. It’s like something trying to engage but ain’t. And as soon as I let off gas it goes away instantly. So I can duplicate it under engine load. And now it’s starting to do it not towing, just simply any hill. Vacuum issue?

The engine sounds smooth, no leaking or no burning oil. Totally maintained this truck. Aside from towing I’ve babied it. It’s not The take manifold or exhaust as I’ve checked that.

could this be torque converter? Transfer case? Transmission bearings?? Or from what other threads have mentioned in similar issues could it be the IWE valve or solenoid?

any thoughts?
Old 08-10-2018, 02:58 PM
RSJ

I have the same noise and the Ford dealer cant find it
Old 08-11-2018, 09:30 AM

It was the actuator check valve. $18 part. Took 30 seconds to replace, no tools required.
Mechanic replaced both IWE actuators and wheels bearings twice. Still grinded. That’s when I replaced on my own the check valve. Instantly went away...
Old 08-14-2018, 03:45 PM
RSJ

Which actuator check valve? Not sure which one you are talking about??
Old 08-15-2018, 08:29 AM

The check valve on my 2010 is located right under the actuator solenoid, by the fire wall on the driver side. Its looks like a clear plastic bubble with a blue ring in it. I spent $2000 in parts trying to fix it and at the end of the day it was a $18 that was the problem. Took 1min to change out, juts a few small hoses going into it. pop them off and walla....

Quick Reply: Drivetrain rattle under load/towing