Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Bypassing the airconditioner

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Bypassing the airconditioner

Hello!

I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to bypass the airconditioner, the truck is a 2000 f-150 4.6 L

Any help would be appreciated

Thanx
Old 08-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What do you mean by bypassing?
Old 08-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I took mine off and got a smaller belt.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You can buy a dummy pulley to go in the ac place or you can just get a short belt...IDK what that belt size is right off hand but you can go to the parts store and try a few different ones till you get it right.....
Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the AC bypass on my truck when I bought it because the compressor was locked, but I have since fixed the AC compressor. The bypass setup worked flawlessly while I drove the truck with it just like factory new.
You need a different top pulley and a different belt. If you look at the routing diagram under the hood for the serpentine belt it should show AC and non -ac routing which means the F150 was made with and without AC.
The reason you need a different pulley is one is grooved and the other is smooth because of the way the belt is routed and rides on the pulley.
I assume the parts store should have the non-ac belt I know they have both pulleys because when I went to get the AC type pulley they asked me if the belt ran on the top of bottom of the pulley and gave me the right one (if I remember correctly the non-AC pulley was grooved and the grooves of the belt ran on top and the AC pulley is smooth and the back of the belt rides on it).
By the way, I keep the almost brand new non-AC belt and pulley behind my seat with the needed two wrenches (one for the pulley, one for the tensioner) in case I ever encounter a popped serpentine belt on the road. It only takes a couple of minutes to switch it out. Too easy.
I would read you the number off the non-AC belt but the truck is 200 miles from me right now at my house because of what I do.

Quick Reply: Bypassing the airconditioner