Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Banks Torque Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Punisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Banks Torque Tubes

OK... so I was watching eBay and a bid came up for a used pair of Banks Torque Tubes (headers). I threw a bid out there and won for a little over $25. Yes... $25.00... that's not a typo. After shipping it ended up right around $60. I figured that the tubes aren't a moving mechanical piece so I took the risk.
They arrived about 2 wks ago. Appeared to have come off a truck that did some muddin'. So, put'em in the blast cabinet and cleaned them up. Found a few minor seperations right at the collector weld. Mig'd those up with a little extra for good measure. Painted, wrapped and painted again to seal up the wrap.
Got off work this morning at 6a... had court at 0830... then class at 1000. Finally made it home and out to the workshop around 1330 and dove in to the install. Mind you... I'm no stranger to mechanical work. I've wrenched for close to 30 yrs now from small engines, full-out race bikes, and high-performance vehicles.
It's 2230 now and the tubes are on but I still have to put all the rest back together. Ended up having to remove the transmission dip stick, the ECM and mounting bracket, battery and battery box, and the AC dryer. The driver's side wasn't too bad but the passenger side has been a total bee-otch. Even once the tubes are on, a few of the bolts you can only reach with an open end wrench and it's so crowded you have to wrench, flip, wrench, flip just to get any turns on the bolt. 25mm bolt and you can imagine how long that takes. I'm knuckle busted and worn-out from lying on my back all day and working with my arms up in the air reaching around engine mounts, torsion bars, frame rails, steering linkage, etc...
I already have the Banks Monster Exhaust installed and have been pleased with the upgrade. But... for the amount of headache these tubes have been I'm hoping the return will be rocket launch equated acceleration.
If what I've read here, the reality is that I probably won't notice much difference. The only saving grace at this time is that I've only got about $200 total in the tubes (purchase, shipping, paint, wrap, abrasive, bolts, gaskets, etc...). If I had dropped the full purchase price I'd be even more pissed-off than I am now.
So... as a fair warning... if you're considering the Banks Torque Tubes... or most any header for that matter... know what you're in for. I've already got 9 hrs in and probably still 2 or 3 hrs more to go. Admitted... I am a bit OCD so everything is checked and double checked. If someone were more careless they could probably shave a couple of hours.
Verdict: If I had the choice I would NOT have installed the headers for what little performance I expect to gain. Calculate the regular purchase price and I would even issue a warning to those considering spending the money. If you consider the current price of petrol at 2.40/gl ($0.15/mile) and I get 2 more miles/gl (an outrageous 12.5% increase in fuel efficiency) then it would take 4000 miles just to yeild the return on the investment of suggest retail $600. More realistically, it's probably more like 6k to 8k miles.
Take what you'd like from this post. I'm sure some will call me crazy... I even expect a few flames from the hot-heads. I just thought I'd share my experience.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Sound Advice:

I can surely appreciate the effort you have expended for what may turn out to be very little improvement in performance....for those reading your post: forewarned is forearmed.

As good a design as the F150 series is and has been, the later models do have serious maintenance access problems that the tyro may not appreciate when he dreams of grandious schemes to load on aftermarket performance equipment in search of a nebulous dream.

As for me, since I have a few years of experience under the belt, and having outlived the need-for-speed, I prefer a vehicle that is reliable, economical, comfortable and smooth running. If it doesn't run a 10 second quarter or sound like a Shuttle at launch, I could hardly care less.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Punisher

I finished up the install this morning... actually this afternoon. I got started again around 0900 and finished at roughly 1300. Add 4hrs today to the 9hrs yesterday for a total of 13hrs.
I did notice upon start-up that the exhaust idle is much smoother. Instead of galloping pulses it now has more of a consistent timed/synchronized output.
As for performance... marginal at best but that may reveal itself later once the ECM resenses all the monitored data. But I have to admit, I've approached my upgrades from the rear. I now have the Banks Monster Duel Exhaust and the Banks Torque Tubes (headers). I have yet to purchase/install any kind of CAI (Banks or otherwise). I'm considering the Volant because to date they are the only offering that has an air scoop available for their CAI. I'm hoping with the restrictions out the back already eliminated that the CAI install will yeild significant improvements. Again... that's the hope.
As a side note. If you do decide to purchase/install the Banks Torque Tubes (or possibly any other aftermarket exhaust header set), make sure you have crows feet, universals, and multiple length extensions available to reach past the tubes in order to install and torque them down to the proper specs.
Finally... knowing what I know now I wouldn't have done the install. Perhaps if there was some kind of forced induction (supercharged, turbocharged, etc...) then I think it would be worth considering. But for a naturally aspirated engine... not so much.
If this helps anyone avoid the trouble... or educates on realistic expectations of the install... then I've furthered my success with this project.

Suck, sqeeze, burn and blow!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the post I was thinking about putting a set on my truck I think I will just save my money for other upgrades thanks alot!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 AM
Punisher

Quick update...

I first installed Banks Moster exhaust...
I then installed Banks Torque Tubes....

Didn't see an appreciable difference in performance. Noticeable difference in exhaust note though.

But then I installed S&B CAI... WHOA NELLI!!! Huge difference in performance. Acceleration vastly improved! I'm eager to acquire a programmer now and get her dialed in. Suggestions are welcome if anyone has such. I'm considering the Troyer Performance but haven't thrown down any money just yet.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Question help

well i have a k$n cia and a cat-back corsa dual sport exhaust, my next purchase was going to be the torque tube headers, grenatilli sparkplugs n wires and possibly a mass air flow sensor if one is needed, then the computer. but reading your post im not really sure if getting the headers is the right thing to do, id like to increase horsepower and torque n if possible mpg at least slightly
Old 05-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

If you want performance from your headers your going to need to go with Long Tube Headers but it will also require a custome tune I'm told. Search OBX on eBay and you can pick up a set of long tube headers from them with Hi-Flow Cats for $675

As for tuners, the consensus on this forum is either the Edge Evolution, which you can get custom tunes from powerhungryperformane.com or the SCT X3 which you can get custom tunes from at 5star.

There are tons of threads debating which tuner if you wish to dig them up to better educate yourself to make the decision that best fits you.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 AM

Cool

are long tube headers legal in NYS? and yes i would very much like performance. also i was always interested in the griphon, gryphon (cant spell) tuner as i was always told it was the only one that was custom progamable to your exact mods on your vechicle? thank you for the advice.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the torque tubes as well. I bought the whole kit from banks new. It was expensive, but my truck sounds really good(cat back also with cai) and its pretty fast. I was doing 0-60 in 7.2 sec or something...i mean thats as fast as my old 5spd 99 maxima that I moded a little lol.

the only thing is, is the headers developped a leak within 2 years. I got the replacements from banks, but its expensive to get a mecanic to swap them each time. So I went back to stock as it took long to deal with them and get new parts...now stockers are leaking also which sux big time. I have the new torque tubes and will install them sooner than later, but sure hope they don't leak. I have to say my biggest issue with my f150 was these freakin' exhaust manifolds...

Hoping to get the new 2015 f150 and sell my truck...

Quick Reply: Banks Torque Tubes