Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

Another spark plug post...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Sup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Another spark plug post...

Reading all the spark plug posts and now i am seeking some answers...

My truck has 171,000 miles on it, i bought it with 168,000 on it. I was tossing around the idea of changing the plugs, due to the fact i have no idea how old they are. Then i heard that they like to pop out of the heads. Do you think its worth it to change them or not bother. Let me know what you guys think...
Old 02-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Navy Seabee

i would change them, it wouldn't hurt nothing... just be sure to torque them down correctly and you should be good to go... you might catch one before it blows...

stephen
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Navy Seabee

what size engine do you have?? I think the 5.4 was the only one with this problem.. i could be wrong though..
stephen
Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Risk Sensitivity:

Replacing the plugs in the 4.6/5.4 engines in the F150 is a considerable chore. The problem that arises is this: If YOU do the work and break a plug, then you are responsible to pull the head(s) to make the fix. If you pay a dealer the considerable sum to replace the plugs and the dealer breaks a plug, then the DEALER sucks up the cost to remove the head(s) to make the fix.....it's a pay-me-now-or-pay-me-later situation.

If you do decide to try the plug replacement yourself, then revue the recommended procedures annotated on this site to minimize the advent of a broken plug.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:46 AM
Sup

I got the 5.4 i will probably look into how much it would be for the dealer to replace them... If its too expensive i will probably do it myself considering im tight on cash right now, and take every procaution known to man. Thanks for your help!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Sup

Now i was thinking over my options today, and i was thinking.... if the dealer was to replace my plugs, and it blew out of the head, would they suck up the repair? or is that still on me. that is my biggest worry
Old 02-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Get a Guarantee:

Originally Posted by josh_truck
Now i was thinking over my options today, and i was thinking.... if the dealer was to replace my plugs, and it blew out of the head, would they suck up the repair? or is that still on me. that is my biggest worry
If you do go to a dealer for the change of plugs, be certain you contract the arrangement to provide a repair if the work goes bad.

Quick Reply: Another spark plug post...