Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

#5 Misfire no coil or injector

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #5 Misfire no coil or injector

Ive had my 2008 5.4 Exp EL in the dealers shop for two days now. It has had a slight engine miss for several weeks now but it is starting to get worse here lately. The dealer said it was in the #5 cylinder and that they have moved the plugs, injectors and coils around but the #5 cylinder is still throwing some kind of error.

They mentioned today that they were going to look for a "valve issue" as soon as their technician that "does that kind of work" comes back to work tomorrow. This is starting to sound ugly and expensive.

There is no knock or tick that we can hear. And the engine miss comes and goes. Sometimes you notice it sometimes you don't. That is not an internal engine issue is it?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

With miss being intermittent, would tend to believe its more electrical than a mechanical issue. Keep us posted as it will help us all.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You were right

It did turn out to be electrical. Apparently there is a known computer issue on the 2008 Expedition EL that causes these misfire symptoms. The Manufacturer instructed the dealer to upgrade the software by flashing the computer. The vehicle has been going strong ever since.

It took a few days to resolve my problem due to a key mechanic being off work, but still my hat is off to the guys at Ramey Ford in Beckley, WV. Dealer service is higher by the hour than many places but I have never took them a problem they couldnt handle given a little time and a little patience.

The bill was $140.00

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
With miss being intermittent, would tend to believe its more electrical than a mechanical issue. Keep us posted as it will help us all.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Passes Muster:

Are you saying then that if Ramey Ford were a restaurant, Gordon Ramsay would give it a thumbs up?

Quick Reply: #5 Misfire no coil or injector