Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

2nd Generation 2017 V6 Ecoboost Problem Hard shifts and bucking in lower gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2nd Generation 2017 V6 Ecoboost Problem Hard shifts and bucking in lower gears

I have a Brand New 2017 Ford F 150 with the Second generation V6 Ecoboost in it and I have been experiencing bucking and hard shifts in the lower gears especially 1st, 2nd and 3rd! When your in traffic you can really feel it! It happens during up shift but a lot during down shift! I know it's trying to find the right gear in this 10 speed transmission but for the price we pay for these trucks and the extra charge for the V6 Ecoboost engine we shouldn't be bucking at all! That's the reason they made a 10 speed transmission for smooth as hell gear change. If I was driving a shift my passengers would think I do not know how to shift well! Especially when down shifting! I already brought it back to the dealer but they didn't do anything! Just made exsuses that that is the way the transmission works!
Well I don't buy it! My 2014 Ford F 150 with the 6.2 liter engine I never had any problems with the shifting, in fact it was smooth as hell! This $65,000.00 Truck shouldn't be doing this!
Do you guys know of any upgrades available for the Ford F 150 2nd generation v6 Ecoboost engine 2017? I know the recently had one for the Raptor! Or do you have any advice on how to fix the problem? Anybody else having this problem? Any Advice would help
Old 10-05-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Default Patience

If it's brand new, it is learning your preferences and driving habits. When it has 2000 miles on it and it is still doing it, you might have a problem.

Originally Posted by robertcourtney
I have a Brand New 2017 Ford F 150 with the Second generation V6 Ecoboost in it and I have been experiencing bucking and hard shifts in the lower gears especially 1st, 2nd and 3rd! When your in traffic you can really feel it! It happens during up shift but a lot during down shift! I know it's trying to find the right gear in this 10 speed transmission but for the price we pay for these trucks and the extra charge for the V6 Ecoboost engine we shouldn't be bucking at all! That's the reason they made a 10 speed transmission for smooth as hell gear change. If I was driving a shift my passengers would think I do not know how to shift well! Especially when down shifting! I already brought it back to the dealer but they didn't do anything! Just made exsuses that that is the way the transmission works!
Well I don't buy it! My 2014 Ford F 150 with the 6.2 liter engine I never had any problems with the shifting, in fact it was smooth as hell! This $65,000.00 Truck shouldn't be doing this!
Do you guys know of any upgrades available for the Ford F 150 2nd generation v6 Ecoboost engine 2017? I know the recently had one for the Raptor! Or do you have any advice on how to fix the problem? Anybody else having this problem? Any Advice would help
Old 10-05-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought these trucks didn't "learn" anything?

Sounds a bit odd. My new F150 isn't smooth shifting but it also doesn't feel out of place. Not silky smooth like others have mentioned and not nearly as smooth as my Explorer. I'm only 400 miles on the clock tho - But doesn't sound nearly as bad as the OP.

Tho makes me wonder.. did you test drive the vehicle before you bought it? How did it drive prior to singing the paperwork?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2017 second gen 3.5 ecoboost, bought it brand new, currently 6K. I do experience some abnormality on low gears when the car is cold. It feels like turbo lag, weird shifting etc. but I can never pint point anything as the car runs "normal" after a minute or so. Once the car is warm it runs fine and it is smooth, however the 10 speed trans is rather lazy and it always wants to stay in high gear, which is fine for cruising but not jumping through traffic. Putting it in S mode fixes this.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (10-12-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine just started doing this!!!!

I have the exact same truck with only 16,600 km on it and they just started doing this less than two weeks ago I myself am also very concerned about it, I don't believe that it's broken in now because It use the shift really really smooth as they're in the exact same thing you were saying but it also does this wwhen upshifting first second and third

Originally Posted by robertcourtney
mine too
Old 11-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Reading this post makes me glad I got the 5.0 6 speed transmission in my 2017 Lariat, which shifts just as smooth as my 2015 Explorer did, but with no torque steer!
Old 11-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

It would shift fine if you had spent $66,000....