Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

1991 f150 302 distributor advancing problem

Old 09-27-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 f150 302 distributor advancing problem

I have a 1991 f150 with the 302. I dont know much about the computer controlled trucks since I have always dealt with carburators and vacuum advanced distributors. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the compter could be tested to see if it is the cause becasue I am pretty sure that the distributor is not advancing the way that it should. If anyone has any idea of how to fix this I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have a timing light you can check to see if the computer is advancing the timing. First find the "SPOUT" plug. On your truck I believe its near the distributer. Warm up the engine. Removing the plug will disconnect the distributer timing from the computer. Start the engine and check the base timing, it should hold steady at 10 deg BTDC. Stop the engine and put the plug back in. Start the engine and the timing should move around as the computer controls the timing.
You can use a paper clip to check the codes that may be stored in the computer, a search on this and similiar sites will get you the steps and codes.
regards
rikard
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM

I have tried the timing several times. I bought a code reader because I got it for ten bucks so that is my next step. I am not sure if the distributor is advancing correctly because it seems to me that its not. I don't know much about the computer controlled trucks cause I have always worked on carbs and mechanical stuff so all this is a first for me.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:22 AM
The Macho King

Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by garren.josh
I have tried the timing several times. I bought a code reader because I got it for ten bucks so that is my next step. I am not sure if the distributor is advancing correctly because it seems to me that its not. I don't know much about the computer controlled trucks cause I have always worked on carbs and mechanical stuff so all this is a first for me.
Did you pull the spout connector when setting your timing, because if you didn't, you're just spinning your wheels.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM

Yeah I did do that
Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
The Macho King

Received 139 Likes on 100 Posts

The PIP in your distributor may be bad. You might need to get a new one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 f150 302 distributor advancing problem