Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

Who Makes A Good Reman 5.4L 3V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Who Makes A Good Reman 5.4L 3V?

Hey everyone, finally saved up enough cash to buy a reman 5.4 for my 2007 F150 Lariat. The old engine had a timing chain that went and gernaded itself. I've been looking at the Colt Powertrain reman engines that run around $3,000 plus core but I wanted to know what everyone else thinks. Does anyone else have any recommendations other than rebuilding it? I'm gonna start wrenching out the old engine as soon as we wrap up with harvest so any input would be great. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2017, 06:32 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Ford makes a good reman.. if you saved up enough money...
Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 PM
mbb

Received 897 Likes on 738 Posts

Ford Remans are made by AER.
AER also makes Ford Racing engines

Look at ford reman videos on youtube. The employees are wearing AER logos...

I have had no problems with my AER 5.4 engine in a 2003, after 45000 miles, and I didnt get it thru Ford.

Installed by local shop was $4400 including tax two years ago
installed by ford dealer was $7000.

Is it exactly same as Fords? maybe not. Ford may have tighter specs on the engines they get, and those not meeting it go to aftermarket. Is it likely? I doubt it. Production runs of these engines by any individual remanufacturer arent that big, at any time theres not that many on the shelf. Only a couple is common. And ford doesnt stock them, they are shipped from AER. When my installer called to see, they had like 3 in stock.

that said...theres no fix for some design problems in 3V of that era, and not sure Id ever put a new engine in one.

I honestly believe a lot of failures of remans are due to failure to lubricate and break in properly.

The best...is have a qualified builder rebuild yours with higher performance parts. But $ and time consuming. I just wanted a daily driver., and wanted if fixed NOW. That said my HG leak got worse for about a year before it finally became undriveable, so I had opportunity to research, and make my decision.

Last edited by mbb; 11-10-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Got mine through Powersource. No real knowledge on where they get their engines, it may be the same shop as Fords AER motors I don't know, but 14k in and it still feels and sounds like new. I'll probably have the phasers and solenoids looked at, just cause anything other than the updated Motorcraft parts there can cause issues.

Be sure to break it in properly though, especially given the finicky nature of the 5.4. I did my first oil change at 1k and another 2.5k in cause it got me lined up with the odometer to make it easy to remember to change the oil at 5K. Every time the odometer reads another 5k its time. Made it a lot easier to write out a service schedule for myself to keep in the glove box.

It's tough with how the transmission is set up, but try to keep it under 2500 revs or less if possible for the first 1-1.5k miles, and be sure to be nice to it about heat cycles for awhile too. Take care of the engine, and it'll take care of you.