Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

transmission slipping and clunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission slipping and clunk noise

Hi,

I have a problem with my 01 f150 5.4v8 rwd , when from a stand stil i put it in drive or reverse the engine revs up for 5 seconds en then suddenly locks in gear. Also when deccelerating en accelerating again the engine also revs up for 5 seconds and then violantly locks in gear.
When overdrive is on driving (doen'st matter what speed i'm at) when i floor it there is a very loud clunk noise when in downshifts, with overdive off there is no noise slipping problem however is always there with or without overdrive.

I must say that i have the truck for 9 months now and have been working on it since then, engine problems, new interior,suspension etc... when i bought it except for the clunk noise the tranny shifted fine, it has been sitting for 9 months now without driving (except for occasional test drive) could it be because the truck hasn't been driven since then?

Tranny has been rebuild 3 years ago aprox 25000 miles since then, so i am leaning more towards the torque converte not locking up has it should, i also heard that the "overdrive" is not an actual gear but is provided by the torque converter? witch coul also explain the clunk noise if i had a bad converter.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-11-2014, 03:39 AM
Sheep Dog

Received 327 Likes on 196 Posts

You heard wrong, the overdrive is an actual gear. The first step is to check the transmission fluid level and condition.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:50 AM

Fluids have been replaced, and level is ok
Old 07-02-2014, 12:44 AM

Any luck yet? I've also got a clunk problem. Mine seems to do it when shifting down from overdrive. There is a hesitation in the downshift, and then the loud clunk. Hard to tell where it's coming from because it's very loud and shakes the whole truck, but I'm pretty sure it's the transmission. It doesn't always do it, but when it does it's pretty bad.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vgavagan
Any luck yet? I've also got a clunk problem. Mine seems to do it when shifting down from overdrive. There is a hesitation in the downshift, and then the loud clunk. Hard to tell where it's coming from because it's very loud and shakes the whole truck, but I'm pretty sure it's the transmission. It doesn't always do it, but when it does it's pretty bad.
My 2008 use to have a clunk like sound (felt like someone hitting the back of the truck). It only did that when stopping or taking off from a stop. For some odd reason when my 4x4 dash light came on automatically it didn't make that noise and my abs light would come onas well. At the time the truck needed some new tires but the dealership said they believed it was the transmission. I ended up replacing the tires with a new set of rims and tires and the noise stopped happening and the dash lights stopped coming on automatically. So I assumed it was either from the worn tires or a sensor in one of the stock rims. The clunk noise hasn't happened in about 3 months. Truck is running great now
Old 07-08-2014, 12:30 AM

Took mine in to a shop to see what they could tell me. They took it for a test drive and said they'd need to tear into it to really see what was going on. That's kind of what I figured they'd say, but it was worth a try. I'm looking in the $800 - $2000 range if I have them do it.

One thing I forgot to mention... It only seems to do it on kick-down from overdrive to third. If I manually turn off overdrive, it seems to downshift just fine. Anyone know if there's a different mechanism for the downshift on acceleration versus manually turning off O.D.?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:46 AM

Default 2010 f150 5.4 trans clunk on take off

My first f150 2010 plattnum looks great and drives great,except for trans noise. After watching veidoes of rear end movement on take off, I used C clamps to clamp front of leaf springs tight together. this stopped the clunk. This did not let the pinion angle change as much on take off. I'm going to make a more perminate fix. ps when the clamps where removed the clunk returned. Hopes this helps I really like this truck. Tim====UP date,went to local auto parts store purchased 3 inch lief spring clamp kit, less than twenty dollars,installed in front of rear wheel on spring,less than 1/2 hour to install. Took a road test 2 days now no clunking, no problems.Now to get this 80mph increased

Last edited by tworthy; 04-26-2017 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Up date post

Quick Reply: transmission slipping and clunk noise