Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

Removing Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Removing Catalytic Converter

Good morning, so my truck has been acting rough lately, pulling my aluminum horse trailer I have NO power spits sputters, etc I had tune up, air filter, and fuel filter replace because no one could figure it out. I took it to Ford and they did a back pressure test and it went up to 3. They said my catalytic converters are shot. They wanted.......wait for it.........$6500 to fix!!!!!!! So, talked to someone else, and they said take them off and just put a straight pipe on. I don't want to put new ones on as hit has 193k on it. Not worried about it being legal either, so don't preach. Is the straight pipe thing doable gentleman?
Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

removing the cats(off road mod !!) will cause some o2 sensor issues(cat Eff. Codes),but you can get around that. mine were coming apart so i just helped them along. its a bit of work requiring cutting,beating and re welding. its a messy job and they make the exhaust very tinny sounding.
eventually I replaced them with some long tube headers and dual exhaust. I wish i went that route 1st. The headers had some baffle chambers that bolted on at the collector w/gaskets.These had the bungs for the o2 sensors. I installed the front(upstream) sensors like normal. The Rear o2's got a little different treatment. I did a mod using oil anti-fauling spark plug adapters.2 for each rear sensor. You can find that mod online.
This took care of my catalyst codes the whole time I ran it that way.
You can then finish the exhaust out anyway you want from there. This is a much cheaper option(under $500 easily) than replacing those cats, And a performance upgrade as well. I guess if thats still out of budget ,you can just do straight pipe of the manifolds,weld in some o2 bungs and still use the mod.
Oh .....mine was for...uhhh.... off road use only, you should not do this if its street driven vehicle...........wink,wink.
I can give ya the mod instructions for the rears if you cant find them

Last edited by dazeeman; 04-22-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:17 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd go for high flow cats and save myself the headache of getting a custom tune and all the other hassles. You can order them online for a couple hundred buck then pay a muffler shop to install them. Save the old cats take them to a metal recycle your self. There worth a few bucks.