Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

Are the 5.4l engines as bad as these forums make them sound?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Super Duper Senior Member

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Are the 5.4l engines as bad as these forums make them sound?

Been reading up here and a couple of other forums. I am in the market for a newer vehicle and have been looking at an F150, I miss my truck. These forums make the engine sound like something I should avoid like the plague.

Are they really that bad over 100K miles? I'd be buying used, and want a vehicle that will last. Couple I was looking at locally have around 70kish miles. Won't really be towing anything. Mostly daily driver kind of stuff, and some occasional light off-roading.

Are the phaser / timing chain issues common? Or am I reading to much into things because only people with issues are looking for help here?

Reading the threads here has me considering a Chevy truck or a Grand Cherokee. But I really want an F150.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Only the bad ones are that bad. The good ones are great, I have a few friends that have their 5.4's over 200k and 250k with no issues at all.
The following users liked this post:
Ryan Nutter (08-16-2019)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:46 AM

Any way to tell the bad from the good? Or is it just luck of the draw?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

Flip a coin 10 times. If all 10 times it lands on heads, you might have a bad one lol

I don't have a 5.4 so I haven't read up too much on the issues they've had, but from my understanding, they aren't bad necessarily they just need a lot of love. Somebody with a 5.4 might chime in here and be way more helpful then I'm being right now lol
Old 02-04-2016, 09:30 AM

So it's as bad as the forums make it sound then?
Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

The 5.4 is awesome. It suffered from sh*tty design flaws relating to timing components and spark plugs. The spark plug problem couldn't really be helped by the driver other than just by replacing them early, but the timing component issue was mostly caused by driver neglect - i.e. failure to change oil in a timely fashion. I have a 5.4. I've gone through the spark plug hell and I've replaced all timing components, plus lifters and rollers, and now it's got a performance tune and exhaust, and the power it puts out is pretty incredible. So no, it's not "bad". It just had bad parents and needed a little attention.
The following 3 users liked this post by Martian:
Ryan Nutter (08-16-2019), sadoon (01-23-2023), tuflehundon (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

No!
There are many good ones. The problem is that when you buy a used one you may be getting someones problem child but that is true with all used purchases.
You can inspect, look and listen and very likely get a good 5.4. There were different issues for different years. The spark plug issue that many complain about could be managed with good planning and procedures.
The 4.6 L is a good alternative. Fewer issues with this engine. Put a tuner on it and the power is increased to good levels.
Either way, the F150's of the 5.4 and 4.6 engine years are very nice trucks. Do your homework and then make a proper inspection. There are many good ones out there.
tuflehundon (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
No!
There are many good ones. The problem is that when you buy a used one you may be getting someones problem child but that is true with all used purchases.
You can inspect, look and listen and very likely get a good 5.4. There were different issues for different years. The spark plug issue that many complain about could be managed with good planning and procedures.
The 4.6 L is a good alternative. Fewer issues with this engine. Put a tuner on it and the power is increased to good levels.
Either way, the F150's of the 5.4 and 4.6 engine years are very nice trucks. Do your homework and then make a proper inspection. There are many good ones out there.
I have the 4.6L in my current 2002 Exploder Limited. I like the engine. I have been pretty meticulous about maintenance with it. It's sitting in my driveway right now with 190,000 miles on it, and I'm about to give it to my daughter when I get something newer in the next month or so.

So what do I need to be looking for when I buy? I saw some videos about the ticking sound caused by the timing parts. Is that what I need to look for?

I figure if I do buy one, I'll ask for the maintenance invoices from when they got it to make sure the spark plugs were changed by them. I normally change the plugs in my Exploder every 50,000. What's a good interval for the 5.4L?
Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Maintenance records are the key (more so for the 5.4 with the timing component issues). Whether you buy from individual or dealer, records should be available. No records - no deal.
Visual and audible inspection. If you are mechanically inclined, do your research regarding the vehicle you are looking into, make a checklist and go over it patiently. Drive it highway, city and back road. At operating temperature stop and listen in a quiet area for tapping, knocking or other noises.
If you do not trust your expertise, take it to a trusted mechanic for inspection.
I drove from Ohio to New Mexico to get mine so I would not have a salted truck. A one owner truck with low mileage 4.6 L 4X4 Super Cab. Have had it 4 years now with no problems.
tuflehundon (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 01:40 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Plug changes - many different responses from different posters.
My old 5.4 needed plugs at 90,000. Different years have different possible issues.
Just changed plugs in my 4.6 at 79,000 due to a random miss on #6 cylinder.

Quick Reply: Are the 5.4l engines as bad as these forums make them sound?