Topic Sponsor
5.4L Discuss the 5.4L here.

5.4. 3v cam phaser lockout

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Gettin It

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.4. 3v cam phaser lockout

Ive seen the lockout kits for the cam gear to stop the moving and stop the slack of chain slapping. I also saw that if you use the Livernois kit they also send you an sct programmer with it. I have the Gryphon (Edge) already, would i need the SCT now or thinking of just contacting livernois and seeing if its compatable or possibly calling PHP, to see if they have came across this. If anyone has any info about these it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Guys
-Jack
Old 09-20-2015, 10:56 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

As far as I know, you can have a custom tune written for the gryphon to lock out the phasers. There are also cheaper versions of the phaser insert on ebay (around $40), it's just aluminum. So in theory, since you already have a Gryphon, you can lock out the phasers for significantly cheaper than going through Livernois.
I came across a thread talking about this not too long ago. I suggest trying to find it for more information. I can't comment on the quality of the eBay inserts, but I do know there are very few complaints on the Livernois products.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:47 PM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForceJack
Ive seen the lockout kits for the cam gear to stop the moving and stop the slack of chain slapping. I also saw that if you use the Livernois kit they also send you an sct programmer with it. I have the Gryphon (Edge) already, would i need the SCT now or thinking of just contacting livernois and seeing if its compatable or possibly calling PHP, to see if they have came across this. If anyone has any info about these it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Guys
-Jack

We offer the cam phaser noise repair kit for your vehicle that is a complete solution. Our Mycal tuner included in this kit is also stackable with other aftermarket tuning devices. Many users already have a tune on their vehicles and our tune is able to then be stacked over the tune that is in the truck currently.

We do not offer custom tune files for other tuning devices. I can guarantee that are products is going to be a permanent solution to your cam phaser issue. I wouldn't personally trust any of the imitation products for my engine and this is definitely the type of job I would prefer to only do once. Our solution has been proven tried and true for years and also has been picked up by many of the major commercial automotive suppliers in the industry. These companies order 50+ kits each time they call, so obviously they are confident this is the way to go as well. Feel free to give us a call, PM, or email if you have any questions.\

Also click the link below for more information or to place an order as well.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...epair-Kit.html

Last edited by Livernois Motorsports; 09-22-2015 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
o6S1D9e (10-30-2021)
Old 12-03-2015, 02:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i just installed this Livernois lockout kit a couple days ago, and had the same question. My SCT tune stayed on, and the Livernois tune was put directly on top of it. This weekend I will be installing timing chains, guides, and tensioners. once I am done and fire the truck up I will post how it turns out!
o6S1D9e (10-30-2021)
Old 01-16-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry, I'm a nubie here and I've had my 5.4 for about a year and three months now and I'm not having any tick sound and I am just wondering what the cam phaser lockout kits do. Is it to prevent the cam phasers from having the common problem that they have? I've got about 107k on mine and still seems to be running fine.
o6S1D9e (10-30-2021)
Old 01-18-2016, 11:36 AM
F150 Forum

Received 546 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by MurpheyJr9615
sorry, I'm a nubie here and I've had my 5.4 for about a year and three months now and I'm not having any tick sound and I am just wondering what the cam phaser lockout kits do. Is it to prevent the cam phasers from having the common problem that they have? I've got about 107k on mine and still seems to be running fine.
We offer the cam phaser noise repair kit for all of the 3 valve modular engines to resolve and / or prevent the dreaded cam phaser issues all of these engines will experience at some point in their life. Many have found it is much more cost effective to lock them out ahead of time especially if they are doing any type of service / maintenance that would require them to be in that area already. If you wait until the vehicle is truly suffering from this issue it can end up being much more costly to repair. Many have found upon tear down and inspection that the locator pin has sheared off the back of the phaser or the timing chain guide has broken from the chain slapping when the phasers malfunction. Installing our kit ahead of time will prevent further issues like these from occurring.

Our kit is the only complete / permanent fix on the market that is both patented and 50 state CARB legal approved for emissions. This kit will save thousands in unneeded repairs if installed before the problem really progresses. We have wholesale accounts that sell build / sell re manufactured engines primarily and they have found that installing our kit in each one before it goes out to the customer has saved them thousands in warranty repair / return claims later on down the road from the issues returning on a newly rebuilt engine. The cam phaser issues on these engines are an inherent design flaw that will continuously return in the long run which is why our solutions has become so popular and well known. We sell several hundred of them a month and they are soon to be featured in the automotive retail chain stores as well.

Feel free to give us a call if you would like to discuss this further or to place an order as well. My name is Anthony @ 313-561-5500 ext 1 and I would be glad to help.
o6S1D9e (10-30-2021)
Old 01-18-2016, 11:51 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

not so sure I agree with all you are saying Anthony. I just installed the Livernois lockout kit (less than 100 miles on it) and there is no change in the noise level. So I replaced all timing parts, chains, guides, tensioners, gears, solenoids, still no change. So I just dropped $1500 and I'm scratching my head, what the hell did I gain........................nothing!
o6S1D9e (10-30-2021)

Quick Reply: 5.4. 3v cam phaser lockout