Topic Sponsor
5.0L Discuss the 5.0L engine here.

5.0 knock

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.0 knock

I wanted to start a new thread on the issue of a 5.0 knock. I understand it has been cover numerous times and I read 90% of them but after the first few posts ends up being a thread about something else. and never comes to any conclusion. If there has been please direct me towards it. I bought a 2013 certified pre owned f150 5.0 about 6 months ago and it started knocking a week later. I now have 43000 miles on it. It didn't get louder nor did it lose power. I tow horses, hay etc. No issue. Seems like a rod to me. I started the ball rolling last week and called my dealer. He couldn't get me in till 3/28 because he didn't have a loaner available. So I rented an f150 and brought my truck in last night. The service advisor clearly heard the knock and wrote me up a work order to cover the rental. I am writing this thread to document what I am about to go through for the next week, month or year. I am expecting a call today with a diagnosis. Hopefully it all goes smooth. If anyone has positive results or inside information on this issue that I can share with my dealer I would appreciate that. I will try to upload a video of the knock. Again, If you had this problem and resolved it through your dealer then I would like to hear from you. Thank you , Pete

Last edited by Pennsylvania Pete; 03-19-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Too much info
Old 03-19-2019, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,141 Likes on 2,840 Posts

good luck...if it needs a motor...the long blocks for the 5.0 are on intergalactic international backorder
The following users liked this post:
Pennsylvania Pete (03-19-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:05 PM

Default 2011 5.0L Knock

Same problem here, except mine seems louder on the passenger side of the engine. I took it to my local ford and had the service manager listen to it and he said he heard it too and he would look into it. The knock is also the loudest at idle.
My truck is still under fords extended manufacturing warranty for 15k miles so I took it in for multiple issues, which none were fixed.
Rear end shutters/clunks from take off, rear defrost light on dash doesn’t work, truck has a hard time starting and knock in the engine.
They said they checked into the shutter which the service manager could hear and feel also on the test drive with me, but when I picked the truck up it was also the same answer, “couldn’t find anything wrong”, just like the engine. I would thing you would have to at least take the rear diff cover off to see what was worn, but I guess not. I’m sure they no what the knock is in the engine, but they just are buying time till the warranty runs out.
The hard starts we’re from me using E85 I guess and was told that I can’t use that in my truck even though it’s a flex fuel vehicle which clearly states by the gas filler I can use E85. I used super unleaded and it took care of the hard starts, but if the vehicle says I can use E85 I should be able to use E85. Of course I had to pay over $100 for them to test my fuel for no reason.
This same dealer also charged me to tell me the rear window had a short in it, causing the front light not to work and fords top of the line warranty didn’t cover it. Also was charged over $100 for this.
Then I was told that all the major service was due at 100k miles. Rear and front diff, transfer case, tranny, spark plugs. According to the manual the transfer case, diffs, tranny don’t have to be touched until 150k. I told them I already changed the spark plugs and rear diff due to the clunking.
All I can say is big time scammers that are incompetent and lazy or to stupid to be in the field they are. This is Brown’s Ford in Guttenberg, IA.
I can guarantee if I go to trade it in at another dealer they won’t give me crap for it, cause it knocks and has a rear end clunk and shutter.
You would think Ford would be smart enough to fix the problems so someone would do a trade in and buy a new vehicle or upgrade, but this people aren’t smart enough for that either.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:43 PM

I was so disgusted with Ford I never followed up with this thread but here is what happened. I took it to the original dealer I bought it from . Service advisor clearly heard it. He scheduled a "master tech" to look at it. 2 days later I'm told it's normal. That's the way the 5.0 supposed to sound. That Ford says the "typewriter" sound is normal. After a big argument with the advisor about the difference between a typewriter sound and my motor he agreed to drop my oil and take a look . Came up with nothing. From that dealer I went to the next dealer.. same thing. Same exact answer. These "master techs" just call ford for an answer. Ford sends them a printout of an answer to give us. The days of actually listening to an engine are long gone.. the knock is so loud you can actual feel it at idle. The whole experience with these guys has been awful. Btw, I have the shudder too. They told me its fine. Lol it's a nightmare.

Quick Reply: 5.0 knock