Topic Sponsor
5.0L Discuss the 5.0L engine here.

2017 F150 5.0 Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 F150 5.0 Ticking

Hello all. My first post in these forums, so hopefully meets your standards. I looked for similar threads, but nothing much on 2015+ 5.0s.

I have a 2017 with the 5.0, 4x4, and have only put 6k mile on it. I'm the first owner, I've had truck right (8) months and put ~6,000 miles on the truck. I baby the truck, drive it easy, and she is basically stock except for items like window tint, bug shield, splash guards, bed liner, and tonneau. I've had oil changed twice, both times at a main dealer. For what these trucks cost, I'm taking care of it.

After the first oil change, at the selling dealer with 3,000 miles, I noticed a tick that had started after the oil change. It had been super quiet before this. Took vehicle back to dealer, they said don't worry. I persisted, and here is how it has transpired:

Dealer #1 - Had truck for two (2) + weeks... first they couldn't hear it, then they couldn't, then they say it's normal, all 5.0 makes some type of noise.

Not happy, took to dealer # 2.

Dealer # 2 - Had truck for exactly 14 days, asked me to send in recording after recording of the noise. Tech asked to take truck overnight. They asked me to come in and take tech on a test drive. Tech then says, its an acoustic issue with the exhaust manifold and how the the valve noises are transmitted. In other words, he doesn't know, but agreed there is a tick, but says they can't fix it.

It does not sound like several of the Rod Knock videos that are out there. However, it does sound just like the notorious 5.0 tick videos. In last 5,000 thousand miles, it has worsened and become more prominent and more persistent as well as louder. Sometimes louder than other times, but always there. My kids nick-named my truck Clicky... not joking.

This tick is bad... in a drive through or in my drive way, you can hear. You can hear it across a parking lot. It gets faster/slower with engine speed. It was not there before the oil change, but now it is. It has gotten louder and more persistent. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Has anyone actually gotten this fixed?
Old 07-30-2018, 03:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you try new oil/filter?

The engine is going to be completely silent...if two dealers say it's normal I'd tend to agree with them. Can you post a video?
Old 07-30-2018, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From all that I've read on this subject I suspect dealers are trained to have selective hearing. Until it reaches a certain threshold they aren't going to "hear" it.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by wildhorsetrail
From all that I've read on this subject I suspect dealers are trained to have selective hearing. Until it reaches a certain threshold they aren't going to "hear" it.
You have point... they "can't" hear anything, but everyone else can until you can get them to truly listen. I think maybe its because they don't want the hassle.

Anyhow, I have a couple short clips... thoughts? You can hear the knock/tick at low revs through the high revs. Has gotten louder over time. An older video before it got louder is also attached.

If I can ask, how do you upload the short videos from an iPhone. I have tried from my phone and two computers, all give me an error and never upload? So as a work around, I used You Tube.

Video # 1 -

Video # 2 -

Video # 3 (OLD) -

Last edited by Wellie; 08-09-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Corrected video link
Old 08-08-2018, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by blkyukon
Did you try new oil/filter?

The engine is going to be completely silent...if two dealers say it's normal I'd tend to agree with them. Can you post a video?
Sorry for late reply.... but yep, did a couple of oil changes. I do them before it hits 3K miles. Always have the dealer do them, and the regular maintenance. But, I don't drive it a whole lot, so it hasn't needed much. But for the price of these trucks, I'm keeping it all main dealer services for warranty and paper trail.

As for the noise, it is NOT normal. One dealer struggled to think of what it was, one gave me a completely different answer. I uploaded clips of the sound, its not a normal sound. And before the first oil change she was incredibly quiet.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds similar to mine prior to it tossing the A/C belt at 14,500 miles. I had it in and they could not hear it. Only made the noise with the A/C on. Run the vehicle A/C on and off and see if the noise goes away. MAKE SURE THE DEFROST IS NOT ON! This activates the A/C. They replaced the tensioner and missing belt and the noise is gone.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:30 AM

WEllie did you get the tick noise fixed? My 2017 is at the dealership for this same noise been there for more than 2 months they are replacing the rockers
thanks

Last edited by Kenric; 07-04-2022 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kenric
WEllie did you get the tick noise fixed? My 2017 is at the dealership for this same noise been there for more than 2 months they are replacing the rockers
thanks
Yes, it did get fixed. I’d have to go back and find the paperwork, but I believe they found a stuck tappet and that was causing damage to the camshaft, and somehow had some oil starvation. It happened after an oil change at the dealer. It did take a half dozen visits to dealer before they would actually open up the motor… constant complaining, videos, and proof of the noise worsening… and finding someone at the dealership that would actually listen.

However, Ford had them rebuild the drivers side head… they did not replace the head. They put a scope into the cylinder and found no cylinder wall damage, so just rebuilt the head. That was all under 10k miles… at 45k now. Since the repair, I always prefill the oil filter now.

No other issues related to this… a new noice at low RPM when cold that I’m trying to diagnose as exhaust, piston slap, or something else. This Coyote 5.0 is great when it all perfect, but I question the longevity of it.

Also, I’ve heard that Ford released a TSB about engine tapping and “normal” noises, and rumors are that Ford is slow to look into these.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: 2017 F150 5.0 Ticking