Topic Sponsor
5.0L Discuss the 5.0L engine here.

2014 5.0 gauge & warning no oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 09:39 AM
The Drifter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2014 5.0 gauge & warning no oil pressure

Last Saturday my truck suddenly displayed no oil pressure on the gauge an on the warning center in the dash I shut it down got out an checked the oil all was good restarted it and all was well hasn t happened anymore just wondering has anyone else had this issue I am hoping at worst a connection or bad sending unit
Old 07-02-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Or an electronic fluke. I think if you read the forum you'll see a few different electronic issues. People stop, turn off the vehicle, restart, and see if it returns. Often it doesn't. As they say - _h_t happens. If it repeats itself, take it in (ideally grab a picture or video for the dealer). If you're close to warranty ending, take it in.
The following users liked this post:
dhilbor (07-02-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 04:22 PM

Received 620 Likes on 434 Posts

The oil pressure sending unit is a normally open switch, that closes with about 7PSI of oil pressure. So, the gauge either shows no oil pressure, or reads about half-scale when the switch closes. It will not show variations in oil pressure, that you would expect with an oil pressure gauge. The sending unit contacts could be going bad, or the connector to the sending unit could be opening up. I would try re-seating the connector first, and if it happens again, replace the sending unit.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 AM

Default Oil Pressure loss

I had this happen to me yesterday 4 times. Pressure gauge drops to zero, get the warning tone and message then pressure goes back to normal and the warning clears before I could even acknowledge it. There is a low level sensor as well so I knew level was OK. Checked dipstick and verified level is fine. I am guessing its a bad sending unit. $5.90 from the dealership. Going to change it out tomorrow when I change out my bad VCT solenoids. (another issue for a different thread).
Old 10-25-2017, 12:01 PM

I just returned from Ford Service due to same problem. Oil was leaking from around sensor. They changed the sensor and wire to sensor yesterday but problem was still there. It only does it when at idle and in gear when the rpm drops to 500 or less. Took it back this morning and they cleaned the throttle body and reset the PCM. If the code is not cleared after repair, The computer will continue to show a problem. I will post if the problem reappears, but so far so good. My truck is a 2012 f150 5.0
Old 12-22-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was doing the same thing, 2013 5.0. Changed the sensor and never had another problem.... The sensor is a real pain in the butt to get to in the 5.0.... Its up behind the alternator on the bottom of the engine.
Old 12-24-2018, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by garner51
I just returned from Ford Service due to same problem. Oil was leaking from around sensor. They changed the sensor and wire to sensor yesterday but problem was still there. It only does it when at idle and in gear when the rpm drops to 500 or less. Took it back this morning and they cleaned the throttle body and reset the PCM. If the code is not cleared after repair, The computer will continue to show a problem. I will post if the problem reappears, but so far so good. My truck is a 2012 f150 5.0
did the solution the dealer provided, resolved the problem?
Old 01-04-2019, 08:08 PM

Default take it in or not

My low oil light has come on 4 times now, when at a low idle. I am assuming the sending unit is bad. I have a 2011 F150 4x4 5.0L. How big of a pain in the butt is it to change this sensor? I get free oil changes and my oil change light just came on. Do you have to drain the oil to change it out? Debating on letting the dealership do it; or doing it myself. Suggestions?

Quick Reply: 2014 5.0 gauge & warning no oil pressure