Topic Sponsor
4.2L Discuss the tried and true 4.2L.

Hard start, stalls when cold

Old 01-11-2018, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard start, stalls when cold

Hello all. New to the forum. I never really looked around here until my latest purchase,a 2002 4.2 5 speed.XL. I really like the truck for what it is but the engine is driving me nuts!
I bought with a cam sensor and Bank 1&2 lean codes. No big deal right???
I did cam sensor and water pump (branch tube hole was pretty rough) still started hard and would dies out. It acted like it had a sticky IAC. I tried IAC, and cleaned MAF. I also cleared PCM memory...No luck.

After chasing random codes and firing the parts cannon at it this is what I've done
-spark plugs
-coil pack
- IAC
-new MAF
-upper intake (plenum) gaskets
-TPS and CHT sensors
-fuel pressure regualtor
-fuel filter
Fuel pressure is about 30 at idle and KOEO but drops slowly to 0 over time. It starts right back up warm but if it sits over night, it cranks too long, starts and sputters out in 10 seconds. The colder it is, the worse it gets. My last thought and last only is fuel pump. There must be a bad check valve letting fuel back to tank. No CEL at this time. Runs rough until to temp but purrs and has plenty of power when it gets there. I know this problem has been posted all over but results never really seem to be posted. I even tried Just Answer technicians and that wasnt really worth it. I've been a technician for 18 years and this one is really blowing my brain out, and of course its my own this time! Please give me some thoughts. Thanks in advance...
Old 01-17-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks to no one. Not one reply.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard start, stalls when cold