Topic Sponsor
3.5L EcoBoost Engine Discuss the 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

Why no boost guage on the Ecoboost?

Old 09-25-2011, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no boost guage on the Ecoboost?

Why in the world would Ford not put a boost guage in the F-150 Eco 3.5? Also, why is there no info on boost level in any of Ford's literature or even in the owner's manual ( or on the web)? It would be nice ( accually imperative) to know what level the turbos are running at, especially under load. Any help from you guys would be appreciated....
Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 AM

Received 242 Likes on 191 Posts

Just get one installed. Shouldn't cost too much. Lots of vehicles come without a boost gauge. Kind of stupid really, every turbo vehicle should have one.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

I know of VERY few, if any, vehicles that come with a factory boost gauge. The few that I know that do are very inaccurate or not precise enough to use as a true gauge anyway.

The truth is, that for most owners of vehicles, they don't want to see a gauge that bounces around and dances as much as a boost gauge will. This is precisely why they design all factory gauges to have very little movement unless something is REALLY wrong. They don't want people calling them all the time because their gauges are moving too much and they are worried something is wrong. Many people associate it that way. Not everyone of course, but for most they don't want gauges moving all the time.

For most a boost gauge would be a distraction and most drivers don't care to know how much boost. Again this is just a majority and not the norm. However, Ford and other manufacturers have to design for the majority. You won't find boost gauges in most modern forced induction vehicles for this reason.

On the plus side though, a boost gauge is a VERY easy addition to your truck. Hundreds of manufacturers, types, colors, sizes, etc. There are a few write ups here on how people did them and I'm sure you will find more than enough info about it with a few simple searches.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 PM
12 Second Truck

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts

The Thunderbird Super Coupe had one. But it's rivial the Pontiac Grand Prix GTX didn't have one. Trying to remember but I don't think the 2003-04 Cobra had one either. Just one of those things. Hit or miss. Use to be like that with tachometers. And as mentioned above with respects to the boost gauge the factory installed ones were hardly accurate, the tachs were never accurate.That of course has changed. With boost gauges you would have a wealth of idiots lining up at the service dept wanting to know why one day it reads 8 and the next 9, oh but when I was in the mountains it was 6. Also a great reason to not post boost numbers.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Not to sound rude or anything, but I think TJFX2EB is full of it!!! I've had other turboed cars with factory boost guages and they DO NOT jump around. Keeping the boost guage at the prescribed level is easy to do with your right foot, and the number (i.e. -8 psi, -13 psi etc...) lets you know if you're pushing the engine too much and wasting gas.
And to Blown Ford, instead of boost readings of 8 one day and 9 the next and 6 in the mountains, don't you mean negative 8,9 or 6?
If you don't know what you're talking about please keep your "technical advice" to yourself!
Happilly, I would still like to hear from "knowledgeable" people.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:08 PM

Easy guys...

TJFX2EB is referring to stop and go and how much your boost gauge WILL move because your going in and out of boost until you reach your desired speed.

I think Blown was talking about how elevation, heat, humidity, etc can effect boost and how MOST people have no clue why one day it would read 9 psi at WOT and the next day it would read 8.

There are a few members on here that have installed a boost gauge on there EB. Hopefully they will chime in.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:39 PM
12 Second Truck

Originally Posted by Turboed
And to Blown Ford, instead of boost readings of 8 one day and 9 the next and 6 in the mountains, don't you mean negative 8,9 or 6?
If you don't know what you're talking about please keep your "technical advice" to yourself!
Wow what an a-hole. You obviously know nothing about boost levels in street motors nor do you know anything about boost gauges. Congrats you just made a huge **** of yourself. Think about it... Why would I be talking about neg numbers? Thats vaccum. You ask about a boost gauge not a vac gauge or a vac/boost gauge. I simply gave some examples of what would happen when people LIKE YOU would see varying boost numbers on different days due to weather and elevation. Whinning to dealership or the forums about how its different. Or bs threads like you will soon start 'Help!! screw ford, they advertised 8psi and I'm getting all kinds of numbers between 6-10psi' boo hoo. Now buy a damn boost gauge and install it and quit mouthing off to the "knowledgeable people" who know what they're talking about. Yes I'm boosted and hauling *** faster then you will ever dream of.

Originally Posted by stock?
Easy guys...

TJFX2EB is referring to stop and go and how much your boost gauge WILL move because your going in and out of boost until you reach your desired speed.

I think Blown was talking about how elevation, heat, humidity, etc can effect boost and how MOST people have no clue why one day it would read 9 psi at WOT and the next day it would read 8.

There are a few members on here that have installed a boost gauge on there EB. Hopefully they will chime in.
Glad there's some "knowledgeable people" around here.

Last edited by Blown Ford; 09-27-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
z06

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turboed
Not to sound rude or anything, but I think TJFX2EB is full of it!!! I've had other turboed cars with factory boost guages and they DO NOT jump around. Keeping the boost guage at the prescribed level is easy to do with your right foot, and the number (i.e. -8 psi, -13 psi etc...) lets you know if you're pushing the engine too much and wasting gas.

I have a boost guage in my Ecoboost and it does jump around quite a bit at steady throttle. Granted it's not dampened like a factory installed guage probaly would be.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:04 PM
12 Second Truck

Originally Posted by z06
I have a boost guage in my Ecoboost and it does jump around quite a bit at steady throttle. Granted it's not dampened like a factory installed guage probaly would be.
Perfectly normal. The slightest change in pedal position, an incline or decent no matter how slight will produce this. Heck it can be so slight a change that you don't feel it. You will also see this when the crusie is set and you can tell when the throttle body is being opened or closed to maintain speed with the varying road and wind conditions.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Troll Hater

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Imoho,
When someone starts,"not to sound rude".
I rarely isn't.
I know the EB modulates the turbos while in cruise control.
I also know that if you don't agree with someones advice, it is usually better to say thank you, roll your eyes, and ask someone else.
This forum is usually pretty good with multiple opinions and ideas.
If you don't like one, don't worry, usually someone with some tact will post something you can agree with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why no boost guage on the Ecoboost?