Topic Sponsor
3.5L EcoBoost Engine Discuss the 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

P0016 code

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0016 code

So I got hit with the dreaded P0016 code a couple of weeks back.

My neighbour is a mechanic so he pulled the code for me. After reading a lot of threads I figure I've got a sloppy timing chain.

When this happened, I also noticed low on power and terrible fuel economy, which goes along with timing issues. Also, when on the power reasonably heavy, it keeps dumping the boost, very quickly and repeatedly.

Since the job would be way to big and involved for my neighbour, I took into a Goodyear shop that I've been using for years, and always had great service.

They told me that my oil was in bad shape. He described it as being like wet clay. He said lets to 2 oil changes and flushes, and hopefully it will clear things up. They did that and also recommended injector flush and coolant flush as the coolant was dirty. They did that, cleared the code and ran it up the highway. They said the power is definitely back and the CEL remained off.

I pick up the truck and happily pay the $600 thinking its solved the issue.

As I pull out of the parking lot, the CEL comes back on. Same code.

I told the mechanic about the chain stretching issues popping up on these engines. He told me that they consulted some sort of online shop manual, showed me the print off too, I think it was identifix or something like that. This thing stated that the next step was to pull the front of the engine apart and inspect for carbon bulid-up and if its excessive, replace the engine, just like that. He then told me that if the timing chain was sloppy he would recommend changing out the engine anyway, because I've probably done some internal damage and its just a matter of time until it grenades.

So, my plan is to take it into Ford and have them do their own diagnosis and change the chain, if thats what it needs.

My concern is that every thread I read, the owners seem to have continued problems after the chain service. Has anyone actually had success changing this thing out?

My truck is an '11 with 155k km

Thanks for the opinions.

Oh yeah, Im not experiencing the rattle on a cold start like some are.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My concern is that every thread I read, the owners seem to have continued problems after the chain service. Has anyone actually had success changing this thing out?

My truck is an '11 with 155k km
Do you ever get the startup grinding noise?

If you read through these threads you'll find several stories of these timing chains out right breaking on higher KM vehicles such as yours.

If that happens you'll be looking at a new motor for sure. Ford will be happy to replace your chain outside warranty (customer pay).
Old 02-18-2015, 01:16 PM

I've seen a video of that startup noise, I've never had it.

Could there be ireversible engine damage before the chain breaks, just from the stretch.

It just seemed so extreme to me.

"stretched timing chain....lets throw in a new motor"
Old 02-19-2015, 01:49 PM

Got the startup sound for the first time today. I'll be taking it in next week to Ford.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:45 AM

Quick update on the situation. I took it to Ford to do their own diagnosis. It came up as a stretched timing chain and it needed to be replaced along with some other parts.

They had it two days and when I got it back, it felt like a new truck. Tons of power again and fuel economy has vastly improved. This was about 3 weeks ago and its been fine since.

The bill was $2600 at Shanahan in Newmarket, ON.

The tech took a picture for me, said the oil was really thick. He said change religiously at 5k from now on.

The following users liked this post:
Wisconsin Hillbilly (06-18-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear your truck is fixed....hopefully the problem doesn't come back. Sounds like all Ecoboost owners need to disregard the Intelli-life oil monitor and change the oil in these engines every 3000mi/5000km. It's only been hypothesized by some, but close oil change intervals and use of high quality synthetic oil may help to prevent the timing stretch issue, at least give it a longer useful life.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:41 PM

Received 118 Likes on 56 Posts

Default Cold Start Rattle

Started getting the cold start rattle about 3 weeks ago, no engine light or anything (2013 with 58,000kms). I took the truck into the dealer and they called to tell me they ordered all the parts to replace the timing chain.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Use of Synthetic?

Originally Posted by Yorkie
Quick update on the situation. I took it to Ford to do their own diagnosis. It came up as a stretched timing chain and it needed to be replaced along with some other parts.

They had it two days and when I got it back, it felt like a new truck. Tons of power again and fuel economy has vastly improved. This was about 3 weeks ago and its been fine since.

The bill was $2600 at Shanahan in Newmarket, ON

The tech took a picture for me, said the oil was really thick. He said change religiously at 5k from now on.

I'm wondering if you were using Synthetic oil, and what brand you were using, and the intervals? I bought mine used @ 28K miles, and I am quite sure the dealership was changing it with conventional rotorcraft oil. They will charge you big money for an oil change. I change mine myself, and have been using Mobil full synthetic extended service oil. . .
Old 06-24-2015, 08:49 AM
EB FX4 EcoRaptor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes Yorkie, your bad and dirty oil was Killing your EB engine..
In order to clean out this gum in your engine, I would recommend you pouring a can of Seafoam and have it run at idle each time before your oil change. Use top quality Synthetic oil with WSS-M2C929-A Specs and have it replaced each 5km. Stay close to the recommended SAE 5W-30 oil viscosity AND use the OEM Ford oil filter.
This is your warranty to run an EB engine for a long time!
Old 08-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Re

Last edited by Stu Cazzo; 08-15-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Quick Reply: P0016 code