Topic Sponsor
3.5L EcoBoost Engine Discuss the 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Advice

2012 F150 Ecoboost. 90,000 miles. All maintenance has been performed at dealer per the spec.

Two days ago my Check Engine light came on. Took is to the local Autozone. Their diagnostic gave me code P0016. Came home and made an appointment with the dealer. Yesterday morning the Check Engine light was off and it has not come back on. I haven’t noticed any performance issue.

This morning I go to my appointment at the dealer. I tell them the light was on and gave them the code. The guy told me I should have made an appointment with the “heavy tech” as he will have to pull the engine. I mention the light is now off. Ask if that means anything. He tells me “that happens all the time.” He then tells me the first available appointment with the tech is July 29, almost 6 weeks from today.

Before I spend mega thousands, my first question is does this make any sense? My second question is if the check engine light doesn’t go back on, can I keep driving this thing. My third question is should I just trade this thing in on a new model. (Semi kidding)
Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 PM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

P0016 = Cam position sensor. Watch where you're stepping when at that dealership.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Originally Posted by First Tee
2012 F150 Ecoboost. 90,000 miles. All maintenance has been performed at dealer per the spec.

Two days ago my Check Engine light came on. Took is to the local Autozone. Their diagnostic gave me code P0016. Came home and made an appointment with the dealer. Yesterday morning the Check Engine light was off and it has not come back on. I haven’t noticed any performance issue.

This morning I go to my appointment at the dealer. I tell them the light was on and gave them the code. The guy told me I should have made an appointment with the “heavy tech” as he will have to pull the engine. I mention the light is now off. Ask if that means anything. He tells me “that happens all the time.” He then tells me the first available appointment with the tech is July 29, almost 6 weeks from today.

Before I spend mega thousands, my first question is does this make any sense? My second question is if the check engine light doesn’t go back on, can I keep driving this thing. My third question is should I just trade this thing in on a new model. (Semi kidding)
Stretched timing chain. You're looking at close to 3-4 grand to fix it. It's up to you what would would like to do
Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 PM

Received 790 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by djfllmn
Stretched timing chain. You're looking at close to 3-4 grand to fix it. It's up to you what would would like to do
Could be true but it's a heck of an assumption to jump right to the timing chain. If it was the chain I wouldn't expect the light to go out. Typical problems for P0016:
  • Camshaft variable timing solenoid failure
  • Engine oil level is too low
  • The engine is not timing correctly
  • The engine oil does not meet the manufacturer's requirements
  • Variable valve timing actuator failure
  • Worn timing chain
Old 06-20-2019, 09:44 PM

When the check engine light was on I felt there was a slight loss of power at low rpm when accelerating. When the light was out, the truck accelerated like normal. Didn’t seem like the light going out was the random event that the dealer wanted me to believe.

I got an oil change while I was at the dealer. I had almost hit the 10,000 mile mark for a recommended change. That should eliminate one possible cause.

Was not happy at all with the dealer. It was like I was interfering with the service writer’s coffee break. They had no record of my appointment. Said I should have made an appointment with the “heavy tech” guy, as if I knew there was such a person. They jumped immediately to pulling the engine without even looking at the truck. Then there was the 6 week delay in getting an appointment. Two good friends of mine are salesmen at this dealer. I am going to mention to both of them that their service department will likely drive me to a different dealer.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I would: 1) Run away from that dealership as fast as possible
2) Throw a new cam position sensor at it myself and see what happens.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:23 PM

The check engine light is still off and it is running fine. I don’t think Iam going to do anything unless that changes.

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice