Topic Sponsor
3.5L EcoBoost Engine Discuss the 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

2012 gas in oil

Old 10-13-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 gas in oil

recently changed oil in my 2012 ecoboost and the crakcase was diluted with gasoline anyone else have this problem

Last edited by pistol 1; 10-13-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol 1
recently changed oil in my 2012 ecoboost and the crakcase was diluted with gasoline anyone else have this problem
1st how do you know? 2nd if it is how much? you need to do an oil analisis to be sure. If it is diluted then you probably have a leaking injecter should be under warenty unless you have done engine or pcm mods I would get it looked at very soon. If enough fuel leaks into a cylinder it could hydro lock [not a good thing].
Old 10-13-2012, 06:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Its common for DI engines to have gas diluted in the engine oil, they run rich with such high fuel pressure. If you're worried get the analysis done to determine when you should change your oil.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:21 AM

not sure but my guess would be aproximately 3-4 quarts of gas where in the crankcase, booked in for a checkup thinking should push for a complete tear down as i am thinking the cylinder walls could be scored.Did drive for about 2 hrs after and no sign of gas in the oil now, while be checking closely from now on but think this is a crock as the truck has only 36000km's of mostly hwy driving and only towed small cargo trailer for very few of those,I would still like to know if anyone else has experienced this
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

If you had 3-4 quarts of gas, did you drain 10 quarts out for the change? Or had it burned 3-4 quarts of oil?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

At least you know the engine is clean on the inside.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

WHOAH! Gasoline mixed with your oil AT THE VERY LEAST can cause CATASTROPHIC rod and bearing failure. Gasoline doesn't have very good lubricating properties(sarcasm...gasoline has NO lubricating properties), so when the gas/oil mixture that used to be just oil travels though your bearing journals, the bearings and rods, and cams and bearings up top are gonna tear the hell out of each other.
I don't care what anybody tells you, it is NOT common for ANY vehicle(that's not a two-stroke) to have GASOLINE mixed in with its lubricating oil.
I hope to Heaven you took your truck in to the dealer by now. If you have 3 or 4 quarts of gasoline in your oil, you've got VERY LIMITED engine life left. If the dealer verifies that you had ANY significant amount of gas in your oil, then your motor NEEDS to either be replaced or torn down and the damaged inspected. I don't know your dealer, but if they're the type that tries to kick warranty repair work to the curb, either take it somewhere else, or DEMAND that your engine be replaced or at the very least torn down and inspected. BOTH the top AND bottom ends.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by pistol 1
I am experiencing this very problem in my 2011 EB.. My oil became so thin from the gasoline that it couldnt generate enough oil pressure and the truck went into limp mode. The dealer couldnt find any problem, changed the oil and sent me on my way. Two weeks later the oil was dilluted with gas again. Spent another week in the shop gave it back to me and want to see if it will happen again.

What is this doing to my engine? Im quite worried.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 gas in oil