Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

wont run or start while hot and overheats

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question wont run or start while hot and overheats

just got a 92 f150 from a buddy, truck has been flopped on its side once. just replaced radiator, and the thermostat. she over heated and caused the old thermostat to fail at some point after it flopped, so i replaced it. now when she gets hot she wont start, it will turn and turn but no bang. i have not let it get hot enough to see if it will **** its self down but rather i cut it off. 15 minutes later she will crank right back up like she was new off the factory floor. this problem has me thinking, my first thought is the temp sensor, my gauge works but its rather jumpy and seems inaccurate. a little more back ground, my buddy replaced the clutch fan with electric...BUT when he flipped it on its side the fans broke so now i have to get some new ones. so without fans i know it will heat up fast, and i used the biggest fan i could find in my house to blow air threw the radiator.even with the new heavy duty double core radiator, supposedly new water pump, and new thermostat she still over heats, do y'all think this is due not enough air flow? or might i still have another underlying cooling problem. the difference between the new rad/thermo and the old is night and day, before it would over heat in a minute or so, now it will run for 10 minutes give or take before getting uncomfortably hot (not in the red but past the NORMAL ).any help would be appreciated, im very mechanically knowledgeable but i just want other opinions.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the water pump for any excess play in the shaft, Also could still be a bad thermostat. And not having a working fan is not helping your cause.

Since you said you replaced the radiator, that probably is not the problem. leaving you basically with only coolant level, thermostat and water pump
Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just read an old thread about the people having the same problems, turned out to be the fuel pump. im going to replace temp sensor and fuel pump to be safe.

Quick Reply: wont run or start while hot and overheats