Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Won't run with spout

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't run with spout

hi everyone,
i have a question and maybe someone has the answer.

I bought another 1989 f150 with a 4.9l and 5speed. The pickup in the distributor was bad so I changed it set the dist and started it up and it seams to run fine until I tried to put the spout in and then no spark ? Remove the spout and it runs like a champ. I saw the two sets of harmonic balance or marks and timing cover marks , I used the marks on the right side down low and I could not get ether mark on the balancer to line up so thinking that the balancer had moved like normal I used my dial indicator and found TDC and went off my mark that I know is true.
So I read about the wires in the loom in foil having a problem so I checked at the continuity is all good that are touching that I shorted. I changed the ignition module thinking it might have a problem but it did not change anything. So where is my problem ?
No spark with the spout ?

Last edited by CCTV shop; 07-21-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-22-2017, 08:55 PM

I don't see what this has to do with my problem ?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

If the wires in the loom have bare spots that are touching foil they may be shorting.

For more help, maybe get a mod to move this to the right year section.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi,
On the Ford 4.9L the timing scale you want to use is on the LEFT facing the engine!

This has a row of small V shaped spaces.

The big V shape is your 10 deg. before TDC that you want to use!

To find TDC you can use a damp paper towel stuffed into the spark plug hole and then turn the crank CW till it pops out then bring to your mark!

You maybe so far out that the computer is not getting the info it needs from the PIP Sensor???
Old 07-23-2017, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by seagiant
Hi,
On the Ford 4.9L the timing scale you want to use is on the LEFT facing the engine!

This has a row of small V shaped spaces.

The big V shape is your 10 deg. before TDC that you want to use!

To find TDC you can use a damp paper towel stuffed into the spark plug hole and then turn the crank CW till it pops out then bring to your mark!

You maybe so far out that the computer is not getting the info it needs from the PIP Sensor???

how is do I get a mod to put it in the right spot ?
Old 07-23-2017, 01:26 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by CCTV shop
how is do I get a mod to put it in the right spot ?
Your post seems to be in the right section now.

To answer your question about why you lose spark when the spout connector is installed, your computer may be bad. Removing the spout prevents the computer from advancing the spark thus disconnecting the computer. I'm no expert on this, this is just something I read somewhere on the internet.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 AM

[QUOTE=88xlt;5401595]Your post seems to be in the right section now.

To answer your question about why you lose spark when the spout connector is installed, your computer may be bad. Removing the spout prevents the computer from advancing the spark thus disconnecting the computer. I'm no expert on this, this is just something I read somewhere on the internet.[/QUOTE

with the spout out the computer does not have any spark advance. I might swap the computers tomorrow and see how it acts.

A different question:
on my other 1989 f150 with a 5.8l, when it's running the idle is all over the place it dies or runs at 1800. I have plugged off the vacuum lines and new intake gaskets I'm sure no vacuum leaks. It acts like the fuel pressure is gone away but with a gage on it the fuel pressure is right where it belongs and after it dies it starts right back up. Very hard to drive like this.
and it's not consistent one or two days it drives fine then I changed the computer and checked the harness ?
Old 07-24-2017, 12:17 AM

[QUOTE=88xlt;5401595]Your post seems to be in the right section now.

To answer your question about why you lose spark when the spout connector is installed, your computer may be bad. Removing the spout prevents the computer from advancing the spark thus disconnecting the computer. I'm no expert on this, this is just something I read somewhere on the internet.[/QUOTE

with the spout out the computer does not have any spark advance. I might swap the computers tomorrow and see how it acts.

A different question:
on my other 1989 f150 with a 5.8l, when it's running the idle is all over the place it dies or runs at 1800. I have plugged off the vacuum lines and new intake gaskets I'm sure no vacuum leaks. It acts like the fuel pressure is gone away but with a gage on it the fuel pressure is right where it belongs and after it dies it starts right back up. Very hard to drive like this.
and it's not consistent one or two days it drives fine then I changed the computer and checked the harness ?
Old 07-24-2017, 12:41 AM

Received 137 Likes on 133 Posts

On your '89 with the 5.8 the high idle could be from a bad TPS throttle position sensor. When you get the fast idle if you unplug the electrical connection from the IAC idle air control does the idle slow down?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by 88xlt
On your '89 with the 5.8 the high idle could be from a bad TPS throttle position sensor. When you get the fast idle if you unplug the electrical connection from the IAC idle air control does the idle slow down?
I have a new tops set at .990V and I unlpuged the USC and it idles at 750

Quick Reply: Won't run with spout