Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Won't Charge and Stalls, Won't Restart

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:58 PM
No Longer a Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Won't Charge and Stalls, Won't Restart

I have an 87 F150 2x4 with the 5.0L engine. It has been sitting for most of the last 5 years and wouldn't pass the CO emissions test until I ran a can of cleaner thru the fuel system. I drove it until almost a full tank had run thru, then refilled and went to emissions test. Passed! Then I hooked up a friends bug to tow it to a shop and got about 5 miles from home when it died on a steep hill. Wouldn't restart, although it turned over fine until I drained the battery. Had it towed home and charged the battery and the next day it started, but only ran about 10 minutes and died, wouldn't restart. Metered the battery once I got it started the next day and it reads 12.30 volts. Shouldn't that be closer to 18 volts when running? The meter on the dash shows it at about 10 volts so I thought Alternator. Changed alternator, still same problem, now what? Thanks.

Last edited by faderbruce; 07-17-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: not sure of CID
Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by faderbruce
I have an 87 F150 2x4 with the 5.0L 351 engine. It has been sitting for most of the last 5 years and wouldn't pass the CO emissions test until I ran a can of cleaner thru the fuel system. I drove it until almost a full tank had run thru, then refilled and went to emissions test. Passed! Then I hooked up a friends bug to tow it to a shop and got about 5 miles from home when it died on a steep hill. Wouldn't restart, although it turned over fine until I drained the battery. Had it towed home and charged the battery and the next day it started, but only ran about 10 minutes and died, wouldn't restart. Metered the battery once I got it started the next day and it reads 12.30 volts. Shouldn't that be closer to 18 volts when running? The meter on the dash shows it at about 10 volts so I thought Alternator. Changed alternator, still same problem, now what? Thanks.
I didn't know the 351 was. 5.0.... I was going to say test your alternator but you already changed it....test your battery? Just because your volts are good doesn't mean the battery is good. Um....I don't know. Not much of an electrical guy, good luck though. Sorry.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:23 PM
No Longer a Mechanic

Default Oops, 5.0l probably a 302?

Sorry, not sure of CID, since I can't seem to find anything that tells engine size other than a 5.0L. Whatever happened to putting the size of the engine on a decal on the breather intake? Man I'm old. Anyway, it's been ages since I worked on a car and I thought immediately that since I wasn't getting 18 volts at he battery while it's running that the Alt was bad. Would a bad battery cause it not to show 18 volts when running? This morning I got it started and it ran less than 5 minutes and died, the battery shows 12.3 volts, and it still turns over like there is plenty of juice once it dies, just won't fire. Will a system that's not charging cause the vehicle to stall like this? Thanks.

Last edited by faderbruce; 07-17-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:35 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Sorry, not sure of CID, since I can't seem to find anything that tells engine size other than a 5.0L. Whatever happened to putting the size of the engine on a decal on the breather intake? Man I'm old. Anyway, it's been ages since I worked on a car and I thought immediately that since I wasn't getting 18 volts at he battery while it's running that the Alt was bad. Would a bad battery cause it not to show 18 volts when running? This morning I got it started and it ran less than 5 minutes and died, the battery shows 12.3 volts, and it still turns over like there is plenty of juice once it dies, just won't fire. Will a system that's not charging cause the vehicle to stall like this? Thanks.
as going thru a bad battery that was arcing on its self some how. it can be a bad battery see if someone has a good battery you can borrow to test it out. a bad battery can do all kinds of wired stuff. when mine finally went my engine would not start but i could listen to my radio granted the volume would fluctuate radically but waiting an hour for the tow truck i got bored LOL i have a new battery now and its running great
Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 PM

I think its a 5.8 for the 351. Not sure. If any of the cells are bad the battery could do lots of stuff. but yes if the battery was bad one thing it might do is read lower than it should while running.

That's a logical move with the alternator, atleast thinking it was the alternator. It might have been, obviously not. But it was a step in the right direction.

That's why I like testing electrical stuff when I can and if I know how. I second a quick battery swap just to see. If it persists start checking cables/wires and grounds.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

yes 5.0 is the 302 and 5.8 is the 351. but it sounds like the battery to me.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 PM

Don't forget to keep updating us as you work on it. We all like knowing our help got one of our own going.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 AM
No Longer a Mechanic

Default Latest Update

So late today I took the battery out and returned to the retailer where I bought it. The battery checked out OK, but I asked the clerk if it was possible that maybe the amps are too low for an LXT Lariat with power everything, including EFI. The battery I had, which was 2 years old, but like I've said, the truck doesn't move much, was rated at 675 amps and was still outputting 690 according to their tester. He looked it up and sure 'nuf, there was a second listing for the F150 that required an 850 amp battery. Got the new one home with a pro rated trade in, which they didn't have to do but they did, thanks Sears, and started right up and died 60 seconds later. The difference now is it starts again pretty much right away and runs for anywhere from 60 seconds to 7-8 minutes. I also noticed that the voltage gauge on the dash was sometimes showing that it was charging, and sometimes not. I kept starting and restarting for about an hour and got frustrated and quit for dinner. After dinner, it wasn't starting as well and at low idle sounded like the timing has jumped. If I rev it to 2K RPM it idles OK, but then just dies like I've turned the key off after differing intervals. I try feathering the gas and sometimes it keeps running, most times it dies. WTH? More fun tomorrow after work, please pass on any suggestions, I'll be checking in during the day. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Dodge+Ford = always ready

Received 112 Likes on 110 Posts

does it have gas? lol. no but i have no idea what that would be. my best guess would be timing or distributor is bad.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:43 AM

So late today I took the battery out and returned to the retailer where I bought it. The battery checked out OK, but I asked the clerk if it was possible that maybe the amps are too low for an LXT Lariat with power everything, including EFI. The battery I had, which was 2 years old, but like I've said, the truck doesn't move much, was rated at 675 amps and was still outputting 690 according to their tester. He looked it up and sure 'nuf, there was a second listing for the F150 that required an 850 amp battery. Got the new one home with a pro rated trade in, which they didn't have to but they did, thanks Sears, and started right up and died 60 seconds later. The difference now is it starts again pretty much right away and runs for anywhere from 60 seconds to 7-8 minutes. I also noticed that the voltage gauge on the dash was sometimes showing that it was charging, and sometimes not. I kept starting and restarting for about an hour and got frustrated and quite for dinner. After dinner, it wasn't starting as well and at low idle sounded like the timing has jumped. If I rev it to 2K RPM it idles OK, but then just dies like I've turned the key off. I try feathering the gas and sometimes it keeps running, most times it dies. WTH? More fun tomorrow after work, please pass on any suggestions, I'll be checking in during the day. Thanks everyone.
Sounds like you have one of those tiny unicorn problems. Jumping and poking holes in everything and generally tearing isht (yes i spelled it like that on purpose) up.

Quick Reply: Won't Charge and Stalls, Won't Restart