Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Window motor burnout...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window motor burnout...

I keep having to replace the window motor in my 1992 f150. The first one I put in lasted a few months while my ex-wife still had the truck but the last two I have put in have only last a week and then a couple of hours before they froze up. It is always in the down position. I haven't checked an voltage readings yet but I am thinking it to be some kind of short or ground that is causing these motors to burn up so quickly. Anyone have any ideas of what to check first? Also does anyone have any sort of diagrams for the wiring of the driver side window wiring? Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to get her legal again and this is the only thing holding me up right now.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Are my eyes red?

Is the track to tight on the glass? If it's too hard to go up and down that will burn it up
Old 09-17-2011, 03:48 PM

What 94bronc said, was the bolts put back in the EXACT same location where the rivets used to be? The position of the window regulator in relation to the door frame is very critical.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:39 AM

I will check it out in the morning but I had ruled that out because this morning the window only got rolled up and down once for an optest. But it definitely is worth checking out, didn't realize placement had that much of an impact.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM

Ok so I did some testing this morning and found out that the switch for the window always had a closed circuit in the down position so I am thinking that caused the motor to fry. I have found replacement switches for ten bucks at auto zone special order but I also found out that the board that the switches connect into was cracked and had a bad connection in it. I can't find that board/ wiring harness anywhere. It would probably help if I knew what it was called. I even searched the junk yards in the area and every truck that had those switches already had them pulled. Does anyone know what that is called and if possible a part number as I couldn't find one on it???
Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Are my eyes red?

Talk to a parts guy at ford. They got break downs

Quick Reply: Window motor burnout...