Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

What gasket is this from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What gasket is this from?

So quick question, I've had a major oil leak (leaks a quart a day) behind my oil pan and before my fly wheel. I thought it was a rear main seal but pulling off all of my drive train find out it was not. Upon taking the fly wheel off, the piece of gasket fell off. Tried seeing if it was part of my oil pan and I'm not sure. Can anyone identify it. First image is what the part of the gasket looks like and the second is it compared to my oil pan gasket. The small gasket is ripped on both sides and half crescent shape.

Small piece of gasket that fell off, compared to iphone.
Unknown piece of gasket compared to the oil pan gasket. Rear of the oil pan gasket facing unknown gasket piece.
Fly wheel removed showing rear maim seal. You can see the leak on the bottom.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

Welcome to the site!
Offhand, it looks like part of the oil pan gasket that goes around the curve of the crank hump. Some vehicles used multiple piece gaskets where one would piece and hold them in place with dabs of grease, then dab a bit of silicone where the pieces joined - not sure whether these vintages used that approach. It looks like your new gasket is a one-piece assembly - ahhh, the technological advances!
If you have narrow feeler gauges or something thin, narrow, and flat - like maybe some trimming from a soda can, may see whether it can be slid into the hump gap to see whether a gasket is there...?
Good luck, and keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
Michael DelSasso (11-23-2017)
Old 11-22-2017, 07:53 PM

Kinda suspected that, the gap between the engine and oil pan was to large for that one piece gasket. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2017, 06:08 PM

Just a update, I've bought a new gasket and noticed the new one has a lot thicker material where it forms around the crankshaft. Thanks for the help!