Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

What drives the oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default What drives the oil pump

I just replaced pan gasket and put all back together. I thought I had the pump drive rod in place correctly, However when I went to start I had no oil pressure.
So does this mean I have to do this all over again?
Or is there another way?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The distributor drives it off the camshaft. It's easy to loose the shaft into oil pan . Pull dizzy and check for the rod.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I know. Was just hoping I was in a fantasy world. I knew better when I put it together. I should have gotten up pulled the dizzy and make sure the rod was correct. Blind faith did not work for me on this one. So I spent about 2&1/2 hours last night raising engine, dropping pan,and pump. Pulled dizzy. After retrieving the rod I fought the pump back in place. I pulled that keeper off of rod and dropped from the top. Anyway dumb mistakes are a pita.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:02 PM

Received 708 Likes on 671 Posts

That keeper is so you don't pull the rod out of the pump when you pull the distributor. Pulled more than one oil pan off and found 2 or 3 drive rods sitting in the bottom of the pan.
I guess it got to be an issue so ford added the keeper. No harm without it, just be real careful and cross your finger and toes if you ever have to pull the distributor.

Quick Reply: What drives the oil pump