Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Water Leak, Need some advice-No HEAT in GA

Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Water Leak, Need some advice-No HEAT in GA

My 91 F150 is having problems holding it in. Its leaking water somewhere around the water pump. The pump was replaced about a year and half ago. Its a 5.0 302W with about 190000 miles. The hoses and thermostat are new, changed them out about 2 months ago. It leaks intermittently, and sometimes it wont at all. I need help because that means no heat in winter in GA, not to mention running without water. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:43 PM

I'm assuming you can't see the leak from the top side. Get the truck up to temp and park somewhere where you can crawl under the front bumper with a flash light and the engine running. Blocking the wheels probably isn't a terrible idea at this point. Keep the hood shut and shine the light on the under side of the pump. You may get lucky and see the leak source. Had a leak on the bottom hose of my water pump that I found this way.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:45 PM

Your hose was the problem? That sounds like a possibility. Also if I end up warrantying this Water Pump is there anywhere else that I could get the bolts for the water pump other than LMC (junk yard here has them all rusted)?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look for leak in the cab on the floor on passenger side(heater core), and check water pump pulley for free play.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 AM

Yeah, the hose clamp came loose after a few weeks for some reason, I probably just didn't tighten it enough.

When it comes to looking for bolts of engine compartment grades and sizes, I've had a lot of luck between home depot, a local hardware store that has a strangely large collection of every flavor of threaded fitting, and speed shops.

ARP's 12 point heads are always an option if you want something that's going to hold on tightly and withstand repeated wrenching. http://www.arp-bolts.com
Old 02-04-2009, 03:06 AM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

Lowes has a better selection of hardware than Home Depot. It isn't unusual for a remanufactured water pump to go out after only a year and a half, but check the hose first.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Get this guys. I went to start it to diagnose the leak, and the water pump siezed and broke the serpentine belt. So I have to warranty out the water pump. Im not sure what could have caused it. But its broke, and my finger had been pointing to it for awhile. I guess I used ****ty antifreeze or something. Going to have to do all the gaskets and get new bolts. Going to start tommorow. Any advice? Ive done it once before but maybe it was something I did wrong to cause it. Not sure.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Antifreeze can't cause pump to fail, i think even a ****ty one, unless you use pure water. I've had same expirience with my honda and aftermarket water pump - the pump lasted only for only 20k miles, and i used good (really) antifreeze and i'm sure that the pump was installed right. Anyway it started to leak in about a year (because of a bearing wear out), so i had to replace it again.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM
We'd do it

Received 448 Likes on 402 Posts

I'm sure you did it fine the first time. Those remanufactured ones just don't last like the factory ones do. I just run straight water and mine still works.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:51 PM

Thanks guys, yeah its a REMAN one. Gotta replace it though. I guess its been around 20K/year half.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water Leak, Need some advice-No HEAT in GA