Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

wanted, new here and need some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanted, new here and need some help

i am looking for a ECM unit for a 1988 ford F150, 4.9, C6 tranmission
have been looking on the internet and cant seem to find on in my price range
[ 100+or- a little]

Does anybody know any scores for ECM's?

Last edited by ymeski56; 07-07-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

AKA: ECU's/PCM's.

Although it's not unheard of for them to fail, statistically it is more likely something else. Why have you decided that is your problem?

You are on a limited budget. All the more reason not to make a "Hail Mary" purchase of an ECM/ECU/PCM, thinking that will cure all.

Give us the reasons/symptoms to works with. Including what made you decide it's the ECM/ECU/PCM.

Last edited by ymeski56; 07-07-2016 at 09:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kenneth 1959 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Evening, Thanks for the help

OK i will start at the begining to try and fill you in
i bought this van 3 yrs ago and it always had minor driveablity problems
but being on a limited budget i just delet with it,

i changed out both fuel pumps and ignion module it seemed to get better for a while
in the corse of the first 3 yrs i replace both fuel pumps twice, the ignion module twice and the alternator and voltage regulator, the battey three times

the van would run down the highway and have a dead spot every onice and while [ it would die then catch its self before it quit all together] this whent on for about two weeks i was thinking it had a short in the wiring some where

then one day it would stall every time i put it in reverce but start right back up
then has i was drive and came two a red light it quit all together and had to be towed home. it would roll over or but wasnt activating the fuel pump or ignion[ i could allways here the fuel pump under drivers side activate].

now i have replace all relays i know about and even put a new distributer in it, the the EEC was my next shot
i cant seem to get any juice to the relays unless i jump them, i am in the process of test the vciuits

i can go out right now and turn the key the she will roll over good, just no spark or fuel

im seriuos thinking about a replament wiring harness

and while this is going on i cant work so im losseing money both was
inthe morning i was going to test all the realy circut agin in casse i miss some

thank you for your help
Old 07-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of what you report suggests it's possibly the TFI, assuming you van has one (my experience is with 92-96 vehicles).
Just a thought, good luck.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as finding one goes id say go to a local wrecker. Pick a part if you have one. Get one from a truck with the same year and engine i dont think the c6 has any electronics. My understanding is that it only controls the engine on ur rig.

Quick Reply: wanted, new here and need some help