Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Updated Red '94 XLT 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 PM
New-to-me F150 Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated Red '94 XLT 4x4

I just bought some items for the truck... Let's see how well I spent the Christmas funds... Here we go:
Crystal Clear Headlights... No more artifacts in the headlights, and no more of the boring "ridges" from them... not to mention they look killer.

These are the trim pieces that the headlight, bumper lights, and turn signal are inside of. These pieces of trim that are on the truck now have a cracked finish, and there is no chrome touch-up paint... I looked.

Here is the new Grille... I'll be reusing the Ford Emblem, if I'm able to salvage it... The rain water has ruined the grilled where the hood and fender come together... has taken the chrome right off of it... same way with the headlight trim... So... While I'm at it, new grille too!

I had never heard of using a clay bar before I purchased the kit below. I am still claying the truck... I have very limited time, but I expect to be done by Saturday/Sunday... I hope!

This is a bottle of Quick Detailer, I use it mainly as lube for the clay bar, but it works OK as a "quick detailing spray"... Don't expect hours of waxing in spray bottle.

This is my step in between the clay bar and polish... It's a cleaner wax. It does exactly as it states, and I couldn't be happier with the results!

I just picked up this polish tonight, and my reasons are as follows: 1-It's got carnuba wax, so it will appear to be deep-shine, that hides small flaws. 2-It's a carbuba blend with poly-chemicals in it, so it will last a bit longer than straight carnuba and will give it the "paint under glass" look in addition to the deep shine. It's the best of both worlds, and I can't wait to get to buffing.

And last but not least I got 4 31x10.5R15's mounted on rusty wagon wheels from PrimalSeal's brother... I'm going to have them mounted on the factory F150 rims... while I repaint the wagon wheels... Red. LOL Here's the exact tires I have to go on:

I am going to try my best to get insurance, taxes paid, and tag this coming week... I'm getting a little antsy only being able to pull it around the yard and clean it... I want to show it off! The reason for all of the upgrades to the front: I want it to look as good as the rest of the truck... a lot of time went into cleaning the farm truck and I will not stop until I'm happy or broke!
Old 01-13-2009, 10:20 PM
New-to-me F150 Owner

***FAST FORWARD A WEEK***
Alright folks, I know some of you have been waiting for an update... So I got off my **** early this morning and got to work.
I may need to remind you of what condition the truck was in at about 8am on 1-8-09:

Here's a straight-on shot!

Ok, We (That's my Daddy in the picture) removed the grille and driver's side headlight bezel that holds the bumper lights and corner lens... Dad's seen here taking off the passenger side bezel.

After we cursed, spat, and smoked a cigarette we had the (whatever that big removable black sub-structure thing is called that the headlights mounted to) removed with the factory headlight housings installed on it, replaced the headlights with the new ones, and had the (whatever that big removable black sub-structure thing is called that the headlights mounted to) back on the truck... Here's Dad tightening down the passenger side while I snapped the picture!

Here's a shot of the headlight assembly just sitting there, all lonely... no corner lens, bezel, or bumper light to make it feel needed!

Then we threw on the newly finished (this past weekend) grille! That sucker took FOREVER to tape off the chrome, keeping in line with only painting the gray/black areas. Man did it come out GREAT! It's a perfect match to the truck, and has about 3 coats of clear over it... A little wax and It'll be like that forever. (I hope)

Check the 1979 F150 Wagon Wheels out now! That's right, They're painted, on, and ready to roll.

So as you can see I had a pretty busy day, and hopefully I'll get some free time this weekend to pull my truck into the cabinet shop's warehouse and do another perfect wax job... The solid week of rain coupled with the yellow pollen around these parts does very nasty things to the nice red color of the truck. It's ok... I like to wax... clay bar... and rain-x windows... and clean tires... and all kinds of stuff.

Give me some feedback, props, or whatever... It's MINE... and I'll continue to do as I want to regardless if you like it or lump it. LOL

Last edited by Strangerous; 01-13-2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd ditch the bent vanity plate, otherwise very clean truck.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Santa Clause was good to you this year. I love to see upgrades and mods. Did the grill come with the red trimming, nice touch? I like the new lights, big difference. I think I need to find some for my '89.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 PM

Then we threw on the newly finished (this past weekend) grille! That sucker took FOREVER to tape off the chrome, keeping in line with only painting the gray/black areas. Man did it come out GREAT! It's a perfect match to the truck, and has about 3 coats of clear over it... A little wax and It'll be like that forever. (I hope)

Read much?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My bad young man. I kinda read fast because I was trying to admire the pics. Next time I will do a more thorough critique before I give the compliments.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:26 AM
kweezy

I did the same thing to my grille but i ended up hitting a pole when i was out playin in the snow so now its cracked and i gotta do it all over again! and i agree, it does take forever to tape the chrome off
Old 01-14-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking GOOD! Adding the red in the grill is a nice touch. I can feel your pain on taping it off for paint,,lol Taped mine off before when freshening it up..
Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM
New-to-me F150 Owner

The only headache with doing the install was those annoying little clips that hold the headlight in place... with the headlights being aftermarket, some of them didn't want to go, but we finally coaxed them into submission. The aftermarket chrome trim was ok during the install, but they were not to OEM specs either... one screw on the bottom was not lined up at all, and to not crack the plastic, I left it out. It seems to have no adverse affects on appearance. The ebay members i purchased the trim and headlights from are "motorblvd" and "carpartswholesale" If anyone was interested in upgrading from those ungodly factory headlights or weathered chrome trim/grille.

I'm looking forward to getting a toolbox, some nerf bars, HID kit, and a stereo (speakers too, factories are blow'd) LOL
Old 01-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! Wax on, wax off... young samurai!

Quick Reply: Updated Red '94 XLT 4x4