Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Turn Signals Only Work with Lights On?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Turn Signals Only Work with Lights On?

Starting this morning, I've noticed that the turn signals (both the indicator on the dash and the light bulbs themselves) on my 1995 f150 5.8L only work when the headlights are on. Why might this be?

When headlights are off the turn signals simply don't blink on dash or outside. When lights are turned on everything works fine.

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 12-04-2014, 01:04 PM

Status Update:

Turn signals do not work at all now. Bulbs/dash light do not flash when indicator is set to left or right signal position. Does not matter whether lights are on or not. Fuse for turn indicators is good.

Could it be the switch? Or something else?

Background info: I have noticed that the turn signal blinking rate had become sporadic and quite quick in recent weeks. Perhaps this was an early warning symptom?
Old 12-04-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple things first, have you checked all the bulbs?

Then I believe there is a relay somewhere for the turn signals that could be bad?
Old 12-04-2014, 08:03 PM

Fixed! Flasher replacement solved all problems with quick-flashing and the lack of audible "click" when blinking.

For some reason it seems to have also fixed the issue with the Hazards (which doesn't make sense to me... but i'll take it). Bulbs are in good shape.

Have to love simple fixes!

Quick Reply: Turn Signals Only Work with Lights On?