Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Transmission is hard to shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Jeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission is hard to shift

Lately ive been noticing a small amount of fluid leaking from underneath, its also been difficult to shift lately. when the engines off it will shift alright, but when the engines running, I pretty much have to jam it into gear with all my strength.

Im thinking the transmission gasket is leaking a bit, i don't mind refilling it every once in a while, but I opened up the hood and i dont even seen a transmission dipstick, so i dont know how to refill it.

It looks like there is a pipe coming from around the transmission that follows the engine with metal tubes, it has a rubber hose and connected into this weird junction thing, is this possibly the transmission cooling line? the Tranny fluid is ran through the radiator right to cool it down?

if that is the case, is that the best way to add more fluid?

also, its the I6 engine with the 4 speed manual transmission 1987 f150
Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 PM

i know on the 5 speeds the refill hole is on the right side of the transmission, there is a 1/2 nut with a fill sighn next to it, and then a drain plug all the way on the bottom
Old 11-16-2011, 02:43 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The transmission filler tube is located at the back of the engine bay, probably on the passenger side, near the engine. It may have a red handle, or possibly black. That is where you fill the transmission from. I am not an expert, but your description does not sound like a lack of fluid issue to me. I think there is more going on inside the transmission itself.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Jeeper

Originally Posted by way2fasts
i know on the 5 speeds the refill hole is on the right side of the transmission, there is a 1/2 nut with a fill sighn next to it, and then a drain plug all the way on the bottom

hmm yeah while under there i did see two bolts, one drain plug and one higher up on the right side, bit hard to see under the layers and layers of rustproof material and old oil, and gunk and all that nice black stuff covering it. i'll check it out thanks.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Boiler Maker

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dewman
The transmission filler tube is located at the back of the engine bay, probably on the passenger side, near the engine. It may have a red handle, or possibly black. That is where you fill the transmission from. I am not an expert, but your description does not sound like a lack of fluid issue to me. I think there is more going on inside the transmission itself.

he has a manual.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

sounds like the throwout bearing is on the way out...that sucks. Might as well get a nice NEW setup for it if you plan on keeping it. It's the same amount of work to change all of it rather than just the throwout...Go ahead and change the rear main too if it is leaking...
Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Just did my transmission and transfer case yesterday on my 87 4.9 4spd man . Use the top of the two bolts u saw and get the 5 dollar hand pump that attaches right on the jug of gear oil. Fill her til she oozes out a little.

Mine is leaking as well...I plan on replacing seals...but probably planning a whole deal cause I wanna pull all the drive shafts and do u joints and drain and check out both axles.

Last edited by SinCityFX4; 11-16-2011 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does sound like the throwout bearing or the input shaft retainer worn where the throwout bearing rides on.

Quick Reply: Transmission is hard to shift