Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Transfer case not shifting, engaging

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:17 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Question Transfer case not shifting, engaging

Alright I recently bought another f150 its a 1993 f150 ext cab short bed 4x4 Automatic AOD with a 5.0l. It has a manual shift lever, I already used PB blaster. while underneath i tried to shift it and it doesn't budge out of 2wd. the shifter is intact. i don't want to yank on it and have it snap on me. however i think it might be an issue inside the transfer case? what should i look for? I would hate to drop the transfer case if it was something stupid as and over tightened shifter.

Could it be something as simple as low fluid? (have not checked yet its to damn cold)
Old 02-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Mark

Received 2,413 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Not gonna help you but...I always engage 4WD during a test drive to ensure it works properly... you may just have to yank on it...
Old 02-16-2014, 12:28 PM
lost my Car again...

Originally Posted by techrep
Not gonna help you but...I always engage 4WD during a test drive to ensure it works properly... you may just have to yank on it...
well considering I bought this with the entent for just parts the running gears didnt matter to me, the body was what i wanted on it, the guy told me the transmisson lost reverse, I bought it sight unseen even paid the guy 50 bucks to drive it to my house

After putting transmisson fluid in it shifted fine so the transmisson wasnt shot all it needs is a power steering line and steering wheel beering to be driveabe again, sooo I dont have the heart to ruin the truck

If the transfercase is junk i dont care much i have a 94 4x4 that works perfictlly just needs body work

Ps. I have bought and sold about 49 cars probably more so i know what to look for when buying haha. sight unseen is a big risk but for 650 bucks it was worth it for parts.

Last edited by TheCollector; 02-16-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Mark

Received 2,413 Likes on 2,114 Posts

oh ok...you never mentioned all that...
Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 PM
lost my Car again...

Originally Posted by techrep
oh ok...you never mentioned all that...
Well considering i wasnt asking for buying tips didnt need to be said lol

I was asking for help with my transfercase on my truck.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Received 102 Likes on 99 Posts

The shifter won't even pull back into 4hi or it does and just won't engage? I just put in a manual last night and the shifter moved through all ranges even when empty.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:24 PM
lost my Car again...

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
The shifter won't even pull back into 4hi or it does and just won't engage? I just put in a manual last night and the shifter moved through all ranges even when empty.
underneath and up top does not move back or forward at all. im used to crawling underneath my truck to engage the 4x4. and it just does not move at all. I almost want to think that the shifter is to tight? I figured the fluid level wouldnt matter.

the little tab on the side of the transfer does not move at all. normally on my other truck if it does not move i get in and make sure its in neutral. Automatics i tried it in park and neutral underneath. drive and reverse with the handle.

Last edited by TheCollector; 02-16-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheCollector
underneath and up top does not move back or forward at all. im used to crawling underneath my truck to engage the 4x4. and it just does not move at all. I almost want to think that the shifter is to tight? I figured the fluid level wouldnt matter.

the little tab on the side of the transfer does not move at all. normally on my other truck if it does not move i get in and make sure its in neutral. Automatics i tried it in park and neutral underneath. drive and reverse with the handle.
Well you can unbolt the linkage from the plat on the transmission and make sure all the moving parts up to the tab move. Or just loosen the on one big one and check for difference. If none of that affects it for the better it could be something internal. Maybe the the tab/rod part on the t-case seized? Other than taking it out to to check or yanking the crap out of it I wouldn't know how to check that part
The following users liked this post:
TheCollector (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 03:09 PM
lost my Car again...

Originally Posted by Forge-World-FORD
Well you can unbolt the linkage from the plat on the transmission and make sure all the moving parts up to the tab move. Or just loosen the on one big one and check for difference. If none of that affects it for the better it could be something internal. Maybe the the tab/rod part on the t-case seized? Other than taking it out to to check or yanking the crap out of it I wouldn't know how to check that part

I'm hoping its just the bolt, but if its something other then that. im just going to steal the shift linkage off it for my other truck if it does not shift into 4 wheel at all. I spryed it down again with some wd-40 this time and im going to let it sit overnight and try again tommorow to rule that issue out.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheCollector

I'm hoping its just the bolt, but if its something other then that. im just going to steal the shift linkage off it for my other truck if it does not shift into 4 wheel at all. I spryed it down again with some wd-40 this time and im going to let it sit overnight and try again tommorow to rule that issue out.
Sounds like a plan. If you do end up taking the linkage off then some other time you could get underneath and hook something to the tab then pull with as much force as you can to try to get it to move. I think pull, if I remember how the linkage works. Is your other t-case manual?

Quick Reply: Transfer case not shifting, engaging